A deliciously easy staple, this Homemade BBQ Sauce is a versatile recipe that can go on or in a variety of recipes as well as being used for dipping!
SO MANY WAYS TO USE BARBECUE SAUCE
I believe that everyone should have those staple recipes at their disposal and this Homemade BBQ Sauce is one of them. It is a quick and easy recipe that has a nice sweet and smokey flavor. Coming together in about 12 minutes you really can't go wrong with this recipe. It is perfect to put in recipes such as Crock Pot Pulled Pork, Grilled Hawaiian BBQ Chicken, Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs and BBQ Chicken Pizza! I love easy recipes and this BBQ Sauce Recipe can't get much easier. So versatile and delicious it is one recipe that you will want to keep on hand for the long haul.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
The sauce itself is very flavorful, sweet, with a nice vinegar kick. It is thick and similar in texture to your basic sweet bbq sauce with a little more texture due to the tomato paste.
Smoked paprika really adds a a lot of the smoky flavor we like in barbecue sauces but you can always use regular paprika. If you have a little liquid smoke on hand, you could add a small drop of that to it.
Just add more cayenne pepper. It's the easiest way to add more spice to the sauce.
To store this Homemade BBQ sauce, place in an air-tight container once cooled to room temperature. It will keep in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST
- light brown sugar
- tomato paste
- apple cider vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
- smoked paprika
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE BBQ SAUCE:
Place the ketchup, brown sugar, tomato paste, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne into a medium-sized saucepan.
Whisk to combine until smooth.
Place the pot over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and slowly simmer for 10 minutes, mixture will thicken slightly, stir occasionally.
Let the bbq sauce cool on the countertop before use.
Pour into jars if desired for storing.
Enjoy on your favorite meats, in recipes or as a dippings sauce.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
The Best Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- Place the ketchup, brown sugar, tomato paste, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne into a medium-sized saucepan.
- Whisk to combine until smooth.
- Place the pot over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and slowly simmer for 10 minutes, mixture will thicken slightly, stir occasionally.
- Let the bbq sauce cool on the countertop before use.
- While simmering, the sauce may splatter some, be careful! It should simmer without a top though so it can thicken.
- This makes a wonderful dipping sauce but extra delicious when brushing on grilled meats and allowing it to caramelize.
- The amount of cayenne adds the slightest bit of heat, add more or less to your taste.
- If you can't find smoked paprika, regular paprika will work as well.