This Chimichurri Sauce is an easy recipe that comes together in minutes and goes great served over steak, chicken or shredded meats!
A TASTY ALL-PURPOSE SAUCE
I never tried to make my own chimichurri sauce until I had the most amazing chimichurri sauce at a restaurant while on vacation. I knew I had to try and recreate it at home. It is so versatile and can go over so many things such as carne asada, barbacoa, carnitas and more. It is great when made into a bowl with meat and vegetables or used as a dipping sauce. The ingredients are simple to find and it whips up in minutes. If you are looking for a fresh and flavorful sauce, then you need to make this Chimichurri Sauce recipe.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
You can use a blender or finely chop ingredients and mix in a small bowl. You just want to get it as fine as you can.
Absolutely yes! This makes about 1 cup (and that can be gone in a single dinner) so doubling is absolutely worth it.
While the red pepper flakes really give this sauce it's distinct flavor, if you are not a fan of heat, you can reduce the amount or leave them out altogether.
There are so many things that this goes great on. Some examples include: tacos, burritos, steak, pork chops, as a salad dressing, roasted vegetables, barbacoa and carnitas!
If you have any leftovers you can store in a covered or airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. This can also be frozen. Place your sauce in a freezer bag and it will keep for up to 3 months. To defrost remove to the refrigerator overnight.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- lemon or lime juice (or both!)
- red onion
- extra virgin olive oil
- ground cumin
- red pepper flakes
- sea salt
HOW TO MAKE CHIMICHURRI SAUCE:
Prepare and chop garlic, red onion and cilantro. Place all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. The longer the sauce sits, the more flavor from the red pepper flakes will arise.
Serve right away or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
- Fresh cilantro- about ½ a bunch or 1 cup loosely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoons lemon or lime juice or both!
- 1 Tablespoon red onion chopped
- 3 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sea salt & ground pepper to taste
- Prepare and chop garlic, red onion and cilantro.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. The longer the sauce sits, the more flavor from the red pepper flakes will arise.
- Serve right away or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- This goes great over a variety of things, see some suggestions above.
- The red pepper flakes makes this but if you don't like heat you can leave them out.
- This can be frozen, see above on how to do that.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.