Thanksgiving – wait, what?
Ok, I know I totally say this every year but how fast has this year gone by? It’s Thanksgiving time already? I mean, I am ready for cool fall weather but I just can’t wrap my mind that it’s the holidays. So, in writing this blog post, I am going to mentally prepare myself and start writing my list of things to do to get ready for Thanksgiving. Are you ready yet? If not, we’ll do this together!
ALL the fried turkey!
My husband absolutely goes bonkers for fried turkey so that’s his main assignment on Thanksgiving. He is the Chief Turkey on that day. Come to think of it – he’s kinda the Chief Turkey everyday. 😉 Anyhoo, he buys the turkey, thaws it and does all the preparation for the turkey. I’m pretty much in charge of the sides. Be sure to check out my recent post on how we prepare and fry our Thanksgiving turkey (pssst: the electric turkey fryer has been the best invention!)
Gimme the Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese, please!
So, let’s get to this recipe for Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese. The slow cooker is your friend during the holidays. This isn’t really a “fix-it and forget-it” type slow cooker recipe but it does free up precious oven space and keeps you from having to stand guard the whole time and making sure things don’t burn or over-cook.
1 (16 oz.) box elbow macaroni
4 tbsp. salted butter, cubed
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups half & half
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided use
3/4 lb. block white American cheese, cubed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Cook the pasta according to the package directions until al dente (should still have a little ‘bite’ to it.)
During the last 15 minutes of cooking, top with remaining cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Cover and allow cheese to melt. Once done, turn the slow cooker to the warm setting until ready to serve. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- 1 16 oz box elbow macaroni
- 4 tbsp salted butter cubed
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups half & half
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided use
- 3/4 lb block white American cheese cubed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions until al dente (should still have a little 'bite' to it.)
- Spray a 4-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the cooked macaroni into the slow cooker.
- Add the butter and stir until coated.
- Pour in evaporated milk, half & half, 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, cubed American cheese salt & pepper. Stir to blend.
- Cover and cook on low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (gently stir occasionally as it cooks.)
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking, top with remaining cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Cover and allow cheese to melt.
- Once done, turn the slow cooker to the warm setting until ready to serve.
Just go to your grocery store's deli counter and ask for 3/4 pound of white American cheese. Tell them you don't want it sliced, just a big block. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.