EASY PIG PICKIN’ CAKE
HOW-TO VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW
ALSO CALLED MANDARIN ORANGE CAKE
For her birthday, my Mom wanted a dessert she had not had since childhood, Pea Pickin’ Cake (or Pig Pickin’ Cake.) Her mother used to make it, but sadly she did not have her Momma’s recipe. So, my Mom and I were determined to get this just like she remembered. I think we nailed it!
CAKE MIX, MANDARIN ORANGES, COOL WHIP
yellow cake mix
can of mandarin oranges
vanilla instant pudding mix
whipped topping (COOL WHIP)
extra mandarin orange slices, for garnish
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE PIG PICKING CAKE:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.For the cake, combine cake mix, margarine, 1/2 cup juice from the mandarin oranges, eggs, and vanilla. Beat for four minutes on medium-high.
Add drained oranges and beat again until pieces are broken up and small. Pour batter into greased and floured 9 x 13 inch baking pan or 2-8 inch round pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes for 9X13 pan or 17-21 minutes for 8 inch pans. Basically you want the cake to be lightly golden brown and set. Remove from oven and cool completely.
Once cake is cool, blend juice from drained pineapples with the vanilla pudding mix. Add powdered sugar and mix, then mix in whipped topping. Stir in drained pineapple. Spread on cooled cake (or layers if making a round cake) and refrigerate several hours.
PIG PICKIN' CAKE
For the cake:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup) softened
- 1 (14 oz) can mandarin oranges drained, 1/2 cup juice reserved
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 1 (4 oz) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple (juice reserved)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 4 ounces Cool Whip (half a regular tub)
- extra mandarin orange slices, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- For the cake, combine cake mix, butter, 1/2 cup juice from the mandarin oranges, eggs, and vanilla. Beat for 3-4 minutes on medium-high.
- Add drained oranges and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Once cake is cool, blend juice from drained pineapples with the vanilla pudding mix.
- Stir in powdered sugar. Then mix in whipped topping.
- Finally, stir in drained pineapple.
- Spread frosting on cooled cake. Optional: Top with slices of mandarin oranges.