THE BEST HAM SALAD
The best ham salad recipe only requires a food processor, mayonnaise, celery, onion and perfectly combined seasonings! This is the most requested ham salad!
DO I NEED A MEAT GRINDER TO MAKE HAM SALAD?
No! I had never made my own ham salad at home until recently. I just thought it would require too much work. I don’t own a meat grinder so I figured it would just take up too much time and effort in chopping up the meat myself. Then, one of my co-workers suggested that I use a food processor. It works perfectly!
VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW:
WHAT CAN I MAKE WITH LEFTOVER HAM?
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
boneless cooked ham
sweet pickle relish (optional)
assorted crackers and/or soft rolls
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST HAM SALAD:
Updated to add: The original post had a giveaway. That giveaway has now ended.
Originally published: January 2014
Updated and Republished: May 2019
THE BEST HAM SALAD
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless cooked ham (leftover or purchased thick slab, trimmed of fat and diced)
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish (optional)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- assorted crackers and/or soft rolls
- Put the ham, egg, celery and onion into a blender or food processor (season with a bit of fresh black pepper)
- Pulse (short, quick pulses) 20-25 times to mince.
- Combine remaining ingredients into a separate bowl (sweet pickle relish, mayonnaise and mustard)
- Then stir in minced ham mixture.
- Cover and chill. I chilled it for several hours, it definitely gets better as it chills for a while.
- Note: Give it a taste test before serving. I didn't add any additional salt to mine because my ham was salty enough so additional salt would have been too much. But adjust it to your taste. Serve on rolls, biscuits or as a spread for crackers!