This Easy Chicken Noodle Casserole is made with egg noodles, chicken breast, a creamy, tasty filling and topped with buttered bread crumbs!
A FAMILY FAVORITE DINNER RECIPE
I love a good casserole. You just can't beat a tasty and filling meal that is all in one baking dish. This one is made with easy to find ingredients. In fact, you probably have most of these ingredients in your pantry right now.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
I created this recipe to be a "pantry" recipe. Which means I wanted you to be able to pull almost all the ingredients from your pantry to create it. However, you could boil chicken and dice it. You could use a store-bought rotisserie chicken. You could use leftover roasted chicken. You have a lot of options depending on your personal preference.
Cream of mushroom or creamy of celery are also good substitutes for the cream of chicken.
No problem. Just use bread crumbs or crushed Ritz crackers or crushed saltine crackers.
I have not tried making this recipe in a crock pot to Instant Pot but if you try it, please let me know!
Yes it can. Prepare the casserole as directed but don't bake. Cover the casserole very well. I usually put on a layer of plastic wrap then another layer of aluminum foil before freezing. It will last up to 3 months. Let casserole partially defrost before baking. You will probably need an extra 10 minutes or so of baking time since baking it from cold.
This chicken noodle casserole is so good as leftovers! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- egg noodles
- chunk chicken breas
- cream of chicken soup
- shredded cheddar cheese
- frozen peas and carrots
- panko bread crumbs
- salted butter
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN NOODLE CASSEROLE:
If you haven't done so already, cook egg noodles and drain well. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, milk (or water), diced onion, shredded cheese and frozen peas and carrots. Stir until combined.
Gently stir in cooked egg noodles.
Pour in baking dish. Sprinkle top with bread crumbs.
Pour melted butter evenly over top of bread crumbs.
Bake uncovered for about 30-35 minutes until bubbly and top is golden brown.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES LIKE THIS ONE? GIVE THESE A TRY!
Easy Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 12 ounce package egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 (10 ounce) cans chunk chicken breast, drained (or store-bought rotisserie chicken)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup milk (or water)
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 stick salted butter (½ cup), melted
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, milk (or water), diced onion, shredded cheese and frozen peas and carrots.
- Stir until combined.
- Gently stir in cooked egg noodles.
- Pour in baking dish.
- Sprinkle top with Panko bread crumbs.
- Pour melted butter evenly over top of bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered for about 30-35 minutes until bubbly and top is golden brown.
- Feel free to use store-bought rotisserie chicken or any leftover chicken meat you may have (grilled chicken also tastes wonderful with this recipe.)
- Cream of mushroom or creamy of celery are also good substitutes for the cream of chicken.
- Regular bread crumbs or crushed Ritz crackers can be substituted for the panko bread crumbs.
- I have not tried making this recipe in a crock pot to Instant Pot but if you try it, please let me know!
Originally published: June 2012
Updated & Republished: January 2020