No Boil Homemade Macaroni and Cheese! The easiest, creamiest homemade macaroni and cheese ever. No boiling the noodles first and it is made all in one pan!
AN EASY HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE
Is there anything more comforting than mac and cheese? I have been making this recipe for years now and it is one of our favorites. You get perfectly cooked noodles and gooey, melted cheese and it all cooks in one baking dish!
TIPS FOR MAKING MACARONI AND CHEESE:
A whole 16 ounce block of Velveeta is being pictured here. You’re only going to use half of that block (8 ounce) Also, I have had readers tell me that they have used half milk and half chicken broth for the liquid and it turns out great! Did you know you can make your own Homemade Velveeta!
YOU DO NOT BOIL THE NOODLES BEFOREHAND
The key to this recipe for No Boil Homemade Macaroni and Cheese? You aren’t going to boil the macaroni beforehand. Did you copy that? Do not boil the macaroni beforehand. This is going to not only save you time, but you aren’t gonna have to also wash up a pot, strainer and bowls too!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- milk (2 % or higher)
- mustard powder
- salted butter
- elbow macaroni
- shredded cheddar cheese
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE NO-BOIL MACARONI AND CHEESE:
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In the bottom of your baking dish (or in a separate bowl), mix together milk with salt, dry mustard powder.
Pour in uncooked macaroni (spread it out evenly).
Then add slices of Velveeta and one cup shredded cheese into baking dish making sure to distribute it evenly.
Top evenly with slices of butter (pushing them a bit under the milk).
Cover with aluminium foil.
Bake for about 50-60 minutes (until macaroni is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed). Oven times vary so check it around the 40 minute mark. Take it out of the oven, remove foil, and top with another cup (or so) of shredded cheddar cheese.
Put it back in the oven (uncovered) for another 10-15 minutes (until cheese is melted.)
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Originally published: January 2012
Photos updated and republished: October 2019
No-Boil Macaroni and Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bottom of your baking dish, mix together 4 cups milk with 1 teaspoon table salt and 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder.
- Pour in 2 cups macaroni, uncooked and spread it out evenly.
- Then add 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, sliced into 1/2-inch thickness and HALF of the 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese into baking dish making sure to distribute it evenly.
- Top with 4 Tablespoons salted butter, sliced into 1/2-inch thickness (pushing them down a bit under the milk.)
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 50-60 minutes (until macaroni is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed). Oven times vary so check it around the 40 minute mark.
- Take it out of the oven, remove foil, and top with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese (Note: you can add more cheese if you prefer.)
- Put it back in the oven (uncovered) for another 10-15 minutes (until cheese is melted.)
- I have not tried this with milk alternatives so I can’t tell you how that would turn out. I do not recommend low fat or skim milk as it is too watery and may not turn out properly.
- Use as little or as much cheese as your enjoy.
- Other pasta shapes can be used as long as they are about the same size as elbow noodles.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.