Instant Pot Sausage Mac and Cheese
This Instant Pot Sausage Macaroni and Cheese recipe can be made in minutes. It’s the perfect weeknight meal for the whole family!
AN EASY INSTANT POT DINNER
If there is one meal I can always get my family to eat – it’s this one. They love smoked sausage and they love macaroni and cheese. This meal is the best of both worlds. Plus, it is so simple to make. Anyone in my family can make it and enjoy it. No difficult to find ingredients here!
TIPS FOR MAKING INSTANT POT SAUSAGE MAC AND CHEESE:
- Use any of your favorite sausage. We usually pick up some beef kielbasa but you can use what your family loves. Just make sure it is a smoked sausage, not raw sausage, or you’ll need to cook it thoroughly first.
- I am using freshly grated white cheddar cheese. I love the way it melts in this. You can certainly use your favorite mild cheddar cheese. Sharp cheddar cheeses don’t always melt as smoothly as mild so if you use a sharp cheese, just mix it with some mild cheddar too.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- smoked sausage (Kielbasa)
- elbow macaroni
- evaporated milk
- unsalted butter
- shredded white cheddar cheese
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT SAUSAGE MAC AND CHEESE:
Turn the Instant Pot to sauté on high. Add the sausage and brown it lightly.
Turn the Instant Pot off and add the water, macaroni and salt.Lock the lid in place and set vent to sealing. Pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
Carefully do a quick release.
Remove the lid and add the butter, evaporated milk and cheese.
Stir until well combined and cheese is all melted.
Allow it a few minutes to absorb before serving (it will thicken as it cools.)
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
Instant Pot Sausage Mac and Cheese
- 12-16 ounce package smoked sausage (or kielbasa), sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 Tablespoon salt
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups shredded white cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheddar)
- Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté setting on high.
- Add the sausage and brown it lightly.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and add the water, macaroni and salt.
- Lock the lid in place and set vent to sealing.
- Pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
- Carefully do a quick release.
- Remove the lid and add the butter, evaporated milk and cheese.
- Stir until well combined and cheese is all melted. Allow it to sit for a few minutes to absorb before serving (it will thicken as it cools – be patient here).
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Made this tonight and it is awesome. Thanks so much Brandie. I would have rated it higher than a 5 if I could.
Ha! Love it!! You’re the best Darlene! It really means so much – thank you for taking the time out of your day to comment!!
Help! Bought all the ingredients but realized this recipe calls for instapot which I don’t have ! How do I make a crockpot version of this… Could I just throw all the same ingredients in? And how much time to cook in a crockpot?
I don’t have an instant pot… can you make this on top of oven?
I made this tonight using heavy whipping cream and cooked for five minutes. I agree, it thickens with a little standing, but was perfect comfort food. Thank you for the inspiration.
I LOVED the ease of this dish!! Who would have thought you could cook dry pasta in an instapot?? Genius!! Could you substitute something for the evaporated milk, though? Heavy cream? 1/2 and 1/2?? One in the family doesn’t care for its taste!
Do you think Velveeta would work in this recipe? (I imagine cut into small cubes)