Easy Taco Mac and Cheese is a budget-friendly, family-friendly meal made with ground beef, taco seasoning and boxed mac and cheese.
AN EASY TACO INSPIRED MEAL!
This Easy Taco Mac and Cheese was a cinch to put together. Some boxed shells and cheese, taco seasoning and ground beef. Who knew it would taste so amazing. I was inspired by my Crock Pot Taco Pasta recipe.
WHAT VEGETABLES CAN I ADD TO TACO MACARONI AND CHEESE?
Broccoli would be a perfect vegetable to add to this recipe. Or, you can serve it on the side! I can tell you that my whole family really loved this one. It is definitely going into regular rotation at my house! Top with crushed tortillas, sour cream and tomatoes if you really want to take it to the next level.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- ground beef – you can use ground turkey or ground chicken.
- taco seasoning – use a packet of store bought taco seasoning or make a homemade taco seasoning.
- water – you will use the amount called for on the back of the taco seasoning packet.
- macaroni and cheese – use your favorite boxed Mac and cheese. I just used the shells and cheese. This will work with any 12 ounce package of macaroni and cheese that has the liquid cheese sauce.
HOW TO MAKE TACO MAC AND CHEESE
In a large pot, boil water and prepare boxed macaroni and cheese according to package directions. In a separate skillet, brown and crumble ground beef. Drain excess grease. Place meat back in skillet and add taco seasoning and water. Keep heat on medium-low and allow mixture to thicken.
When ready, combine taco meat with prepared macaroni and cheese. Stir well. This stuff is so good just like this. Just serve it with a salad and dinner is done!
I’m serving it here with some microwaveable steamed broccoli that I sprinkled with some of the shredded cheese and seasoned with salt and pepper.
If you want to make this meal really majestic – top it with with some sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes and crushed tortillas!
CRAVING MORE RECIPE?
Taco Mac and Cheese (+Video)
- 12 ounce box macaroni and cheese (I used the shells and cheese)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- ⅔ cup water
- shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese (optional toppings)
- In a large pot, boil water and prepare 12 ounce box macaroni and cheese according to package directions.
- In a separate skillet, brown and crumble 1 pound ground beef. Drain excess grease. Place meat back in skillet and add 1 packet taco seasoning and 2/3 cup water. Keep heat on medium-low and allow mixture to thicken.
- When ready, combine taco meat with prepared macaroni and cheese. Stir well.
- Optional: top with with some shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese or even crushed tortillas for some crunch. Serve with a salad or steamed vegetables.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: March 2018
Updated & republished: February 2021