Tuna Macaroni Salad recipe is a classic favorite. Elbow macaroni, canned tuna, onion, peas and a seasoned mayonnaise all combine for a family favorite!
A CLASSIC FAVORITE RECIPE
Tuna Macaroni Salad is a dish that doesn't get a lot of credit. It's one of those meals that most of us remember our Mommas making. It is economical and it makes a lot. I absolutely love to dig into a bowl of this stuff. It is one of my favorite comfort foods (besides THE BEST EVER POTATO SALAD). This classic pasta salad really is an entire meal in one!
Frequently asked questions:
Shallot has a very light onion flavor and doesn't overpower the other flavors. But you certainly can use an onion if you prefer.
Just add a bit of mustard. You won't taste the actual mustard flavor. It will provide just enough slight tang to balance the other flavors.
Elbow macaroni is a traditional pasta shape to use for this recipe. However, you really could use any pasta shape you enjoy. Cavatappi or shell pasta would work great.
I only use canned tuna in water. Canned tuna in oil or any other flavors will change the consistency and texture of the tuna pasta salad.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- elbow macaroni
- canned tuna
- hardboiled eggs
- sweet pickle relish
- celery seed
- lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- frozen peas
HOW TO MAKE TUNA MACARONI SALAD:
Cook macaroni according to directions on package. While pasta is cooking, drain cans of tuna well. Chop hard boiled eggs and shallot. In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, relish, celery seed, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Stir well to combine.
Stir in tuna.
Once macaroni is cooked, drain well and rinse with cold water until pasta has cooled. Pour drained macaroni into a large bowl. Pour mayonnaise mixture onto pasta.Then add chopped eggs and shallot, followed by thawed peas. Stir well.
Cover with plastic wrap and pop into the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
WANT MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS? GIVE THESE A TRY!
THE BEST TUNA MACARONI SALAD
- 1 (16 oz) box elbow macaroni
- 3 (5 oz) cans tuna packed in water, drained well
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 tbsp celery seed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Cook macaroni according to directions on package.
- In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, relish, celery seed, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Stir in tuna.
- Once macaroni is cooked, drain well and rinse with cold water until pasta has cooled. Pour drained macaroni into a large bowl.
- Pour mayonnaise mixture onto pasta.
- Then add chopped eggs and shallot, followed by thawed peas. Stir well.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- Put bowl into the fridge for a couple of hours, then serve.
Originally published: October 2018
Updated & republished: March 2020