The Best Egg Salad recipe is so simple to prepare. Perfect hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, relish and seasoning. Plus, some options to switch it up!
A CLASSIC EGG SALAD RECIPE
In my mind, the best egg salad is the one that is the simplest to make. It doesn't need to be complicated with a bunch of weird ingredients. This creamy classic egg salad fits the bill. I love to eat it all by itself but it really makes for a perfect filling for finger sandwiches or on a fresh, warm croissant.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Place eggs in the bottom of a saucepan; add enough cool water to cover eggs. Bring to a boil; cover, remove saucepan from heat, and let stand 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, drain the water then fill the saucepan with cold water and ice (This is key. It will make removing the shell so much easier!) Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Tap each egg firmly on the counter until cracks form all over the shell. Peel under cold running water. For step-by-step photos, check out my post for Classic Deviled Eggs.
Traditional egg salad is a simple recipe of chopped hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, salt and pepper.
Well that depends on what you considered healthy! Eggs are loaded with vitamins and minerals are a great source of good protein and healthy fats. If you considered mayonnaise unhealthy (which I don't), you could use an avocado mayonnaise or a low fat mayonnaise. For the bread you could use a whole wheat, low carb or multi-grain bread.
In covered container, it will last 3 days in the refrigerator.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR EGG SALAD: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- hard-boiled eggs
- sweet relish (optional)
- salt and pepper
- sliced green onions (optional)
HOW TO MAKE EGG SALAD:
In a bowl, mix together chopped eggs, mayonnaise, sweet relish and salt and pepper.
Stir in green onions, if using.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving.
Serve with crackers, on bread as a sandwich, in a tortilla to make a wrap, or on a large leaf of lettuce!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
The Best Egg Salad (+Video)
- 6 hard-boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- 4-5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sweet relish optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sliced green onions optional
- white sandwich bread or croissants
- In a bowl, mix together chopped eggs, mayonnaise, sweet relish and salt and pepper. (Stir in green onions, if using)
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving.
- If you can find watercress, it is heavenly on this egg salad.
- Also, if you don't like relish, just leave it out.
- Add a smidgen of yellow mustard to give the egg salad a little kick.
Originally published: April 2011
Updated and republished: January 2022