Anything with the word ‘Mississippi’ in the title must be good!
After I shared the recipe for Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast earlier last year, I got a lot of folks asking about making it with chicken. This recipe really works well with just about any kind of meat you can think of. What I love most is it is a true crock pot recipe. And by that I mean you can literally fix it and forget it. Pop it all into your slow cooker and set it on low and go to work and then come home and it’s ready. It won’t be burned or dry at all.
Any chicken will work!
My friend Cris over at Recipes that Crock makes this with chicken thighs and she loves it with that cut of meat. Chicken thighs can be a very affordable option too. And with using the chicken thighs she also cuts the butter in half. I like using frozen chicken breasts with these all-day recipes. Again, it’s more affordable than fresh chicken breasts and they hold up really well to the longer cooking time. Plus, I seem to always have them in my freezer. They cook up great without any kind of thawing at all.
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet au jus gravy mix
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
- 6 peperoncini peppers
- Add chicken breasts to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle both packets of au jus gravy mix and ranch dressing mix on top of the chicken.
- Then, top with stick of butter.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- The chicken will produce its own juices so you don't have to add any other liquid to this.
- When it's ready, take a couple of forks and shred the chicken.
- It will be very tender.
Any chicken will work for this recipe. We like to serve this up on sub rolls but you can serve this however you prefer.