Cinnamon Roll Cake
for the cake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white granulated sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
for the cinnamon filling:
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, softened to room temp.
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray (I like the kind that has flour in it.) In a large bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer), combine ingredients for cake (except melted butter.)
Stir until combined well.
Drop the cinnamon filling by spoonfuls onto the cake batter.
The glaze is gonna settle into all those nooks and crannies.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick) melted
- CINNAMON FILLING:
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter softened to room temp
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray (I like the kind that has flour in it).
- In a large bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer), combine ingredients for cake (except melted butter).
- Don't overmix, just stir until combined.
- While your mixer is running, slowly add the 1/2 cup melted butter.
- Mix just until combined (overmixing flour in baked goods can make it tough and rubbery).
- Spread this batter evenly into your baking dish.
- Now to make the filling.
- In a small bowl, combine all your filling ingredients: softened butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Stir until combined well.
- Drop the cinnamon filling by spoonfuls onto the cake batter.
- Take a butter knife and make swirly, marble-effect patterns all around the cake.
- Drag the knife through both the cinnamon and cake batter.
- Bake the cake for about 35-40 minutes (it took about 40 minutes in my oven), until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the glaze.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract in small bowl.
- Pour the glaze over the warm cake.
I think you could get away with only using one stick of butter in the cinnamon/sugar filling mixture. I think two sticks of butter makes this filling a tad heavy and therefore, it likes to sink to the bottom a bit while baking. Serve warm or at room temperature.