Easy Roasted Chicken Salad is the best chicken salad recipe ever. Mayonnaise, celery, onions and special seasoning makes this a huge favorite!
A DELICIOUSLY FLAVORFUL CHICKEN SALAD RECIPE
I'm pretty picky when it comes to chicken salad. I like to roast my own chicken because I can flavor it how I like it. But some good ole store-bought rotisserie chicken will work just fine in this!
OVEN ROASTED GIVES IT FLAVOR
For me, a good chicken salad has to have a nice balance of being able to taste the moist roasted chicken along with the creaminess and taste of mayonnaise. This recipe strikes a good balance of both and the other add-in ingredients, like the celery and onion are all optional to suite your tastes. However, if you want a faster option, try using your air fryer! My Air Fryer Chicken Breast recipe is a great substitute here.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- whole chicken breasts (bone-in, with skin)
- lemon pepper seasoning
- olive oil
- sour cream
- red onion
- salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHICKEN SALAD:
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. On a baking sheet, place chicken breasts skin side up. Drizzle them with a bit of olive oil and then sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning.
Cook for about 35-45 minutes until the chicken is cooked thoroughly. Allow chicken to cool before continuing. Once chicken is cool, remove meat. You can save the bones and skin for chicken stock later, if you prefer. Cut the chicken up into bite size chunks. In a medium bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, celery, onion and salt & pepper.
I usually add about 2 teaspoons of salt and maybe a ½ teaspoon of pepper. Add in diced chicken and stir.
Serve on your favorite bread or just a bed of lettuce or eat it all by itself!
WANT MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS?
Homemade Chicken Salad (+Video)
- 2 bone-in whole chicken breasts (with skin)
- 1 Tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
- olive oil
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup small red onion, finely diced (about ¼ cup )
- 2 teaspoons salt, (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pepper, (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. On a baking sheet, place chicken breasts skin side up.
- Drizzle them with a bit of olive oil and then sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning.
- Cook for about 35-45 minutes until the chicken is cooked thoroughly. Allow chicken to cool before continuing.
- Once chicken is cool, remove meat. Discard skin and bones and cut the chicken up into bite size chunks.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, celery, onion and salt and pepper.
- Add in diced chicken and stir.
- Serve on your favorite bread or on a bed of lettuce or eat it all by itself!
- Keep refrigerated. Will last 3-4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- If you can't find the bone-in chicken breasts then just use boneless.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: August 2011
Updated and republished: June 2019