This is the best Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup! It is easy to make and is a family favorite. The flavors of a chicken tortilla in a soup!
A WARM AND COMFORTING SOUP RECIPE
You are going to love this recipe for Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup! Now, I don’t want you to look at the list of ingredients and get overwhelmed here. I promise this won’t take you more than 5-10 minutes to throw in the crock pot. It can easily be put on before you go to work in the morning and be ready by the time you get home.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Mainly it is made with shredded chicken, chicken broth, taco seasoning, enchilada sauce and Rotel. Other flavors like garlic, onion and corn can be added.
We serve it with cornbread. You could also serve it with a side salad.
Yes. Canned black beans or pinto beans would be excellent in this.
I like to serve this soup topped with shredded cheese and some crispy tortilla strips (you can usually find those located in the same grocery aisle as salad toppings.) You can also try some avocado, a slice of lime and some freshly chopped cilantro.
Yes, chicken tortilla soup can be made vegetarian or vegan by omitting the chicken and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can also add additional vegetables, such as bell peppers, zucchini, or squash, to the soup to give it more flavor and nutrients. To make the soup vegan, you can also omit the cheese or use vegan alternatives.
Yes, chicken tortilla soup can be frozen. To freeze the soup, allow it to cool completely and then transfer it to an airtight container or a freezer-safe zip-top bag. The soup will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw the soup in the refrigerator and then reheat it on the stove over medium heat until it is heated through.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- chicken breasts
- chicken broth
- diced tomatoes and green chiles
- enchilada sauce
- taco seasoning
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheese, for topping
- crunchy tortilla strips, for topping
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP:
Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your crock pot. Season with a bit of salt & pepper. Add in diced onions and minced garlic. Then pour in chicken broth and water. Then add in corn, diced tomatoes and enchilada sauce. Sprinkle in taco seasoning and chili powder. Then give it all a good stir. Put the cover on and cook on low for about 8-10 hours.
About 10-15 minutes before serving, take the chicken breasts out and shred them using two forks. The chicken will shred very easily. Then put shredded chicken back in pot. Stir again.
Let cook for additional 15 minutes. Then serve!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Originally published: December 2012
Updated & republished: October 2020
Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup (+Video)
- shredded cheese
- crunchy tortilla strips
- Place 1 pound chicken breasts in the bottom of a 5-quart crock pot.
- Season with a bit of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add in 1 medium onion, diced and 2 cloves garlic, minced.
- Then pour in 15 ounce can chicken broth, 1 cup water, 15 ounce can corn, undrained, 15 ounce can diced tomatoes and green chiles (Rotel), undrained, and 11 ounce can enchilada sauce.
- Sprinkle with 1 packet taco seasoning and ½ teaspoon chili powder and give it all a good stir.
- Put the lid on and cook on low for about 8-10 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving, take the chicken breasts out and shred them using two forks. The chicken will shred very easily.
- Then put shredded chicken back in pot and stir.
- Let cook for additional 15 minutes. Then serve. Top with shredded cheese and crunchy tortilla strips.
- Serve with shredded cheese and crispy tortilla strips.
- Feel free to add any beans you like in here. Black beans go well with this soup. Also, some folks like to top this with diced avocado as well as fresh cilantro.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.