THE BEST STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
This easy Stuffed Pepper Soup has all the flavors of stuffed peppers but in a soup. Ground beef, green pepper, onion, tomato soup, broth and seasonings! I love stuffed peppers. I loved them as a kid and I love them now. I still like my stuffed peppers the way my Mom made them using her SPANISH RICE as a filling.
VIDEO INCLUDED BELOW:
EASY AND SO DELICIOUS!
If you are a stuffed pepper lover like I am, then I think you’ll love this soup version. It has all those yummy flavors you love in stuffed peppers, but a bit less time consuming. The only thing I might get crazy with is the kind of cheese I add on top. Sometimes it’s a good ole slice of American cheese. Sometimes it’s sharp cheddar. Delicious!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
chicken broth (or beef broth)
salt & pepper
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE STUFFED PEPPER SOUP:
Dice up the onion and green pepper.
In a large pot, brown and crumble ground beef along with diced green peppers and onion over medium-high heat.
When cooked, drain excess grease from beef mixture.
Put beef back into pot. Add in diced tomatoes, tomato soup and chicken broth (or beef broth).
Give it all a good stir. Then add in rice. Stir in seasonings; sugar, garlic powder, salt & pepper (to taste).
I always say to add salt & pepper to taste because I know salt is a sensitive seasoning for many people. And the amount you use depends on if it is sea salt, kosher salt, table salt or salt substitute. So when adding salt & pepper, just keep adding a little at a time and stir, then taste after each addition until it gets up to the seasoning level that is right for you and your family. Cover and let soup simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes to let all the flavors blend. The longer it simmers – the thicker it will get as the rice continues to absorb the liquids.
And serve! Now, I think you have to serve this soup with shredded cheddar cheese on top. It ain’t a stuffed pepper (in my humble opinion) unless it has cheese on there.
Originally published: November 2012
Updated and Republished: May 2019
THE BEST STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
his easy Stuffed Pepper Soup has all the flavors of stuffed peppers but in a soup. Ground beef, green pepper, onion, tomato soup, broth and seasonings!Print Pin Rate
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 (29 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 oz) can tomato soup
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth (or beef broth)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese, for topping
- In a large pot, brown and crumble ground beef along with diced green peppers and onion over medium-high heat.
- When meat is thoroughly cooked, drain excess grease from beef mixture.
- Put beef mixture back into pot.
- Add in diced tomatoes, chicken (or beef) broth and tomato soup (or tomato sauce).
- Give it all a good stir.
- Then add in rice.
- Stir again.
- Then stir in seasonings; sugar, garlic powder, salt & pepper (to taste).
- Cover and let soup simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes to let all the flavors blend. (The longer it simmers, the thicker it will get.)
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese on top of each serving.
Note: 1 cup of uncooked rice will make 2 cups of cooked rice.
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 669mg | Potassium: 866mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 8.4% | Vitamin C: 49.4% | Calcium: 7.8% | Iron: 19%