Everybody and their Momma makes it
Broccoli Salad with Creamy Dressing
- 5 cups chopped broccoli
- 1/2 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper
- Chop broccoli.
- I don't usually use the stalks in this salad, just the florets (top parts).
- I like to make sure I chop them up into manageable, bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl, add chopped broccoli, bacon, raisins, walnuts, chopped onions and sunflower kernels.
- In a medium bowl, make the dressing.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and black pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients.
- Give it all a really good stir to combine.
- This salad can be made a day ahead of time and should be kept stored in a bowl with an airtight lid in the refrigerator.
- Stir again just before serving.
You could use chopped green onion for a milder onion flavor if you prefer but I love the look of the red onion in this salad. It adds color and flavor.