The Best Kale Salad recipe is full of healthy greens like kale and broccoli along with walnuts, dried cherries and sweet and sour dressing.
A CHICK-FIL-A INSPIRED RECIPE
This kale salad recipe is inspired by Chick-fil-A's Super food salad! Do y'all remember when Chick-fil-A used to have Carrot Raisin Salad? They took it off the menu and it broke my heart. I guess the idea was to put up some healthier options. I am not even sure they make this exact salad anymore. I believe the only kale salad they have is the kale crunch salad but it's not the same as the original. No worries, I got you covered if you really liked this one!
CAN I USE ANY OTHER DRESSINGS?
Can't find sweet and sour dressing? Just pick up some cole slaw dressing. It has that same balance of flavors that will work great in this. Or use my homemade version HERE. Also I have a homemade sweet and sour dressing in my recipe for Broccoli Salad. I've also typed it up in the recipe card at the end of this post.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- fresh kale
- lemon juice and olive oil
- dried cranberries (or cherries)
- chopped walnuts
- sweet and sour dressing
WHERE DO I FIND SWEET AND SOUR DRESSING?
If you have never heard of Sweet & Sour dressing, let me assure you it does exist. I live in a pretty small area so if I can find it, I know that most folks around the country can find it too. Here are two different types. One is the Kroger store brand and the other is made by Marzetti. You can find these dressings where all the other salad dressings are located.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST KALE SALAD:
First things first - give the kale a good rinse.
Then begin chopping up the kale and broccoli. If you've never worked with kale or any other type of greens before, then here's a picture to show you what to do. All you have to do is cut around the stem.
Discard the stem and finish chopping it up into bite-size pieces. The next step is super crucial. To soften up the kale, you need to massage it. I will put the chopped kale in a bowl and top with about a tablespoon lemon juice and olive oil. Use clean hands to massage for about 3 minutes to soften the leaves.
Chop up the broccoli into bite-size pieces. I remove the bulky part of the broccoli stem but you can chop that up too and add it in - up to you.
Add it all into a large bowl.
Then toss in the dried cranberries (or cherries) and chopped walnuts.
Pour dressing on top.
Then toss it all together and coat all the veggies as best as possible.
Cover with plastic wrap and place into the fridge for at least 2 hours.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
The Best Kale Salad
- 6 cups kale chopped into bite size pieces
- lemon juice and olive oil
- 3 cups broccoli chopped into bite size pieces, or baby broccoli
- 1 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 16 ounce bottle sweet & sour dressing
- Rinse kale and broccoli and chop into bite size pieces (discarding the stems.)
- The next step is super crucial. To soften up the kale, you need to massage it. Put the chopped kale in a bowl and top with about a tablespoon lemon juice and olive oil. Use clean hands to massage for about 3 minutes to soften the leaves.
- Add the chopped broccoli in with the massaged kale.
- Then toss in the dried cranberries (or cherries) and chopped walnuts.
- Pour dressing on top.
- Toss it all together and coat all the veggies as best as possible.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place into the fridge for at least 2 hours. Then serve.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper