The best southern coleslaw tastes just like the one you get at KFC. Actually - it might be better and it only takes a few minutes to make!
THE BEST SOUTHERN COLESLAW
I think coleslaw is one of those foods that you either love or hate, in my humble opinion. Most folks who love it expect to eat it at every BBQ or picnic and on top of CROCK POT PULLED PORK SANDWICHES (that would be me) or my INSTANT POT PULLED PORK BBQ. Then there are the slaw-haters. Mainly, it's because they don't like cabbage, at all (that would be my husband.)
DOES THIS TASTE LIKE THE COLESLAW AT KFC?
Why yes, yes it does! That's exactly how I describe it to folks. If you love their cole slaw then you'll love this version. You can chop the cabbage up real fine if you prefer (like KFC) or just leave it like it is straight outta the bag. It's just a matter of texture.
HOW MANY PEOPLE DOES THIS SERVE?
This is a recipe for a small crowd (at least 8-10 people.) If you don’t need as much, just cut the recipe in half. If you don’t have apple cider vinegar on hand, regular white vinegar works fine too. Got some heads of cabbage to use? No problem. Just dice up a head or two of cabbage (about 8 cups) and shred about 2-3 carrots to substitute.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- coleslaw mix
- Dijon mustard
- apple cider vinegar
- lemon juice
- freshly grated onion (or onion powder)
- freshly ground black pepper
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST COLESLAW:
In a large bowl, dump in both bags of coleslaw mix. Note: I tend to like my slaw more finely chopped so I'll run the cole slaw mix in my food processor (using the pulse setting two or three times.)
In a smaller bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Whisk vigorously until thoroughly combined.
Pour mixture over coleslaw mix.
Stir coleslaw to combine. Put cover on bowl and put in the refrigerator to set for at least an hour. This is going to allow the coleslaw mixture to soften just slightly and allow the flavors to blend (if you have the time.)
CRAVING MORE? GIVE THESE RECIPES A TRY!
THE BEST SOUTHERN COLESLAW
- 2 (14 oz) bags coleslaw mix
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or yellow
- 1 ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon onion powder (or 2 tablespoon freshly grated onion)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, dump in both bags of coleslaw mix.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Whisk vigorously until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture over coleslaw mix.
- Stir coleslaw to combine.
- If possible, allow mixture to sit for about an hour before serving.
- Stir again before serving.
Originally published: August 2011
Updated & republished: July 2019