Coleslaw – it’s a love/hate thang
- 2 14 oz bags coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard or yellow
- 1 ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp onion powder or 2 tbsp. freshly grated onion
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, dump in both bags of coleslaw mix.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Whisk vigorously until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture over coleslaw mix.
- Stir coleslaw to combine.
- If possible, allow mixture to sit for about an hour before serving.
- Stir again before serving.
This is a recipe for a small crowd. If you don’t need as much, just cut the recipe in half. Also, this coleslaw goes great on top of pork BBQ sandwiches. If you don’t have apple cider vinegar on hand, regular white vinegar works fine too.
Got some heads of cabbage to use? No problem. Just dice up a head or two of cabbage (about 8 cups) and shred about 2-3 carrots to substitute.