Pork Chops and Gravy
Sometimes you have no idea how popular a recipe will be. The one recipe that you think everyone will love barely gets any attention and the one that you think may not be appealing to the masses ends up being a hit. You never can tell sometimes.
Such is the case with this next recipe. It’s one of those recipes that is so easy, you think people may not look twice at it because the ingredients are so simple, but man, it is so good! Like lip-smackin’, call yo Momma good!
Crock Pot Smothered Pork Chops
Throw some steamed veggies on your plate (I like those microwaveable steamer bag kind, helps keep the clean up down to a minimum) and some mashed taters (for the gravy, of course) and you got a meal that is worth comin’ home from work early for.
1 tsp. garlic powder
3 tbsp. corn starch
3 tbsp. cold water
Note: I like the bone-in pork chops for this recipe. I find that it really gives this dish a lot of flavor but if you prefer boneless you can certainly do that. But I definitely do not recommend a thin cut pork chop. Just be careful when taking them out when they are finished cooking. The meat will be very tender so I like to scoop them out with a spatula.
In a 5-6 quart slow cooker, combine onion soup mix, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup and pork gravy mix. Whisk together until combined. Don’t worry about any lumps, they will go away during cooking.
Cover and cook on low about 4-6 hours.
Just before the pork chops are done. Whisk together the corn starch and cold water in a small bowl.
Once it is smooth, pour it in with your pork chops in the slow cooker and stir gently. Cover and switch the slow cooker to high and cook for another 30 minutes (until gravy has thickened.) Then serve with mashed potatoes!
- 4 bone-in pork chops
- 1 oz packet onion soup mix
- 1 14 oz can chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup, low sodium
- 1 oz packet dry pork gravy mix
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- To thicken gravy:
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp cold water
- In a 5-6 quart oval slow cooker, combine onion soup mix, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup and pork gravy mix.
- Whisk together until combined.
- Season both sides of the chops with a little bit of garlic powder.
- Place pork chops into the slow cooker.
- Do your best to spread them out and cover with the gravy mixture.
- Cover and cook on low about 4-6 hours.
- Just before the pork chops are done - whisk together the corn starch and cold water in a small bowl. Once it is smooth, pour it in with your pork chops in the slow cooker and stir gently.
- Cover and switch the slow cooker to high and cook for another 30 minutes (until gravy has thickened.)
Serve with mashed potatoes.