Crock Pot Smothered Pork Chops and Potatoes is a meal-in-one! A creamy, flavorful sauce on top of tender pork chops and cheesy potatoes!
A DELICIOUS CROCK POT MEAL
Doesn't that just sound good? One of my most popular recipes here at The Country Cook is my Crock Pot Pork Chops and Gravy. If you love pork chops and brown gravy - you'll definitely want to check that one out. When I was brainstorming new recipes, I thought it would be great if I could add some sort of veggie to it and have it still be a one-pot, slow cooker meal.
AU GRATIN-STYLE POTATOES
I wanted the potatoes to be similar to au-gratin potatoes (with a creamy, white sauce) and I wanted to give lots of flavor to the pork chops. I was so happy with how this recipe for Crock Pot Smothered Pork Chops and Potatoes turned out. You get lots of creamy, cheesy, tasty white sauce to smother over your pork chops and potatoes when serving. So good!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- thick cut, bone-in pork chops
- salt and pepper
- cream of chicken with herbs soup
- heavy whipping cream
- russet potatoes
- shredded colby and monterey jack cheese
- sliced green onion
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS AND POTATOES:
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Note: I have a slow cooker that also has a saute option so I am able to brown my meat in the cooker. Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Brown both sides of the pork chops (don’t fully cook the pork chops - just a minute on both sides to get them brown.) Set aside pork chops.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup with the heavy cream, milk and minced garlic. Set aside. NOTE: Because this seems to be CONFUSING so many people. From this point on, I will call this the SAUCE mixture. It's all the same thing. It's a sauce made from a can of soup, heavy cream and milk.
Slice potatoes and chop onions. Note: You could slice the potatoes in half (to make a half-moon shape) after slicing them lengthwise to make them more bite-sized.
Spread the sliced potatoes and the onions into the bottom of a 5 quart or larger oval slow cooker. Season with salt & pepper.
Spread half the sauce mixture on top of the potatoes.
Sprinkle one cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top.
Place pork chops in a single layer on top of cheese.
Spread the rest of the sauce mixture on top of the pork chops.
Pour remaining sauce over the top. Cover with remaining cheese.
Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours. It ended up only taking 4 hours in mine.
When done, sprinkle the top with sliced green onion.
Then serve. Make sure to add extra cream sauce on top!
CRAVING MORE CROCK POT RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY:
Crock Pot Smothered Pork Chops and Potatoes
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 thick cut bone-in pork chops
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of chicken with herbs soup
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 large russet potatoes, sliced into ½” thickness
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups shredded colby and monterey jack cheese (divided use)
- ½ cup sliced green onion, for topping
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Brown both sides of the pork chops (don’t fully cook the pork chops - just a minute on both sides to get them brown.) Set aside pork chops.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup with the heavy cream, milk and minced garlic (this is the sauce.) Set aside.
- Slice potatoes and chop onions. Note: You could slice the potatoes in half after slicing them lengthwise (into a half-moon shape) to make them more bite-sized if you like.
- Spread the sliced potatoes and the onions into the bottom of a 5 quart or larger oval slow cooker. Season with salt & pepper.
- Spread half the sauce mixture on top of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle one cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Place pork chops in a single layer on top of cheese.
- Spread the rest of the sauce mixture on top of the pork chops. Cover with remaining cheese.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours. (It only took about 4 hours in my slow cooker)
- When done, sprinkle the top with sliced green onion.
- Then serve. Be sure to spread extra cream sauce on top!
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Do the pork chops brown?
Brandie @ The Country Cook
If you want them more brown, you will want to brown them first on each side before placing into the crock pot. 🙂
This was a family favorite growing up. Ours was done as a one pan meal on the stovetop. It was called pork chop goulash. The peppered pork chops were browned first, then cream of mushroom soup and milk were added in, followed with sliced potatoes, and the sweet peas were added in near the end. Cooked until the potato slices were soft and pork was done. So yummy.
Brandie @ The Country Cook
Sweet peas sound like a great addition!!
I love this!! I make my own cream of chicken soup. It is waaaaay better than Campbells. I added 1 parsnip and a bell pepper to the grilled onion and about 5 cloves of garlic. So excited to try it in 4 hours
Delicious exactly as the recipe is written. A family favorite!
How can I convert this recipe from crock pot to Instant pot?
Loved the flavor and creamy gravy for the potatoes and pork chops. Going to try making it with chicken instead of pork chops. Will continue making this recipe.
Brandie @ The Country Cook
Hi Susan - thank you for coming back to comment. Love hearing that!
Made this yesterday, very good and easy, we really like the sauce. I used extra thick chops, therefore, I only used two.
Thank you for sharing this recipe.
It was really tasty!! I followed the instructions to the T and the sauce came out really watery :(. What the heck did I do wrong? Thanks!
My sauce came out watery too. I will let you know the results tonight.