There is nothing like comfort food. Especially comfort food from our childhood. During these winter months, I crave them! But I’m also thinking about my health. The older I get, the more I understand that small differences make the biggest impact for me in the long run. If I get too strict with myself, I’ll never make serious changes. So, instead I try to choose better ingredients that are good for me but still taste good and I don’t feel like I’m depriving myself! I tend to take familiar favorites and switch out some of the ingredients to make it healthier yet satisfying.
So when PROGRESSO™ challenged me to come up with a recipe using their ready-to-serve soups, I was definitely up for it. I love to take ingredients like this and create new recipes or just take the original ingredient and turn it up a notch. The PROGRESSO™ tomato soup I’m using in this recipe is a family favorite. We enjoy it with some grilled cheese sandwiches. Or I’ll throw some cheese crackers in there for a fun twist. There are chunks of tomato in the soup and it makes for a hearty meal. They are ready-to-serve, no diluting necessary! So I decided I wanted to take one of my favorite comfort foods, Cheesy Mac, and change the focus on making it a bit more healthy. I’m using lean ground beef along with the PROGRESSO™ Reduced Sodium Tomato with Parmesan Soup. You could also go a little further and use whole wheat pasta and reduced fat cheese. It’s all about moderation for me. My family tore this up. It cooks up in about 20 minutes. So not only is it doggone good, it is simple to make. Can I get an “Amen!” for that?! And any leftovers heat up really well in the microwave. So tell me, if you were given a can of any PROGRESSO™ ready-to-eat soup, any flavor, what would you make? See below on how that idea could win you $5,000!
2 cups macaroni noodles, measured before cooking
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tbsp. onion flakes, optional
1 can diced tomatoes (Italian style with garlic, basil & oregano)
1 can PROGRESSO™ Tomato with Parmesan soup*
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided use
For this particular recipe, I went with PROGRESSO’s™ Tomato with Parmesan soup. But, PROGRESSO™ makes other flavors of tomato soup that would be perfect with this: Tomato Basil or Hearty Tomato!
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add in a tablespoon of salt to boiling water.
Then add in elbow macaroni. Cook macaroni until al dente then drain.
In a large skillet, over medium heat, add 2 tbsp. olive oil and add in ground beef. Stir in Italian seasoning…
…and dried minced onion (if using.)
Stir while cooking, making sure to break up the meat as it cooks. You won’t need to drain any fat since we are using lean ground beef.
Once the meat is thoroughly cooked, add in diced tomatoes.
And then stir in PROGRESSO™ Tomato with Parmesan soup.
Next, stir in 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
Finally, stir in cooked macaroni noodles.
Give it all a gentle stir and cook on medium-low heat until it’s all warmed through.
Then turn off heat and sprinkle with the last cup of shredded cheddar cheese and top with sliced green onion (optional.)
Cook’s Notes: If your family loves green pepper, definitely add it to this dish. Just add them in while cooking the ground beef.
Cheesy Macaroni Skillet
Course: Main Course
Calories: 600 kcal
- 2 cups macaroni noodles measured before cooking
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp onion flakes optional
- 1 can diced tomatoes Italian style with garlic, basil & oregano)
- 1 can PROGRESSO™ Tomato with Parmesan soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided use
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Add in a tablespoon of salt to boiling water.
- Then add in 2 cups elbow macaroni.
- Cook macaroni until al dente then drain.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add 2 tbsp. olive oil and add in ground beef.
- Stir in Italian seasoning and minced onion flakes (if using.)
- Stir beef while cooking, making sure to break up the meat as it cooks.
- You won't need to drain any fat since we are using lean ground beef.
- Once the meat is thoroughly cooked, add in diced tomatoes.
- Then stir in PROGRESSO™ Tomato with Parmesan soup.
- Next, stir in 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Finally, stir in cooked macaroni noodles.
- Give it all a gentle stir and cook on medium-low heat until it's all warmed through.
- Then turn off heat and sprinkle with the last cup of shredded cheddar cheese and top with sliced green onion (optional.)
If your family loves green pepper, definitely add it to this dish. Just add them in while cooking the ground beef.
Cheesy Macaroni Skillet
Amount Per Serving
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Progresso™. The opinions and text are all mine.