This homemade Sweet Southern Cornbread is simple and made with real honey. Bake it up in a cast iron skillet or baking pan. Moist and sweet!
SWEET SOUTHERN CORNBREAD
Since first publishing this recipe on the site in January 2011, I have received a lot of feedback. Basically, folks either love sweet cornbread or they don't. Depending on what part of the country you live in, you may even have a different name for it. I've heard it called Johnny Cake, Corn Cake and more. What I am saying is, folks have very strong opinions on the subject.
WHAT IS A JOHNNY CAKE?
Cornbread is a bit like iced tea. Folks either love it sweet or not sweet. There seems to be no in-between. Personally I am in the strong and sweet category. 🙂 Johnny Cake is a northern American term for a sweet corn cake. Also, this Sweet Southern Cornbread (or corn cake or Johnny cake) can be made in a baking dish or a cast iron skillet. It also goes so good with some CAJUN DIRTY RICE.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- yellow corn meal
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
HOW TO MAKE SOUTHERN CORNBREAD:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 8x8 baking dish (or 8-inch round cast iron skillet) with nonstick spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together all your wet ingredients: honey, egg, butter, milk and water.
In a separate bowl, combine all your dry ingredients: sugar, corn meal, flour, baking powder and salt. Give it a stir with a whisk or a fork to combine. While whisking, slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet until all combined. Batter may be a little lumpy, that’s okay.
Pour mixture into greased baking dish (or cast iron.)
Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until set in the middle and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
My favorite way to eat it is with a big pat of butter and drizzled with honey!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? BE SURE TO TRY THESE!
- THE BEST CROCK POT BEEF CHILI
- THE BEST LOUISIANA GUMBO
- CROCK POT SWEET CORN SPOON BREAD
- HOMEMADE SAUSAGE GRAVY
- EASY HOMEMADE YEAST ROLL BISCUITS
- THE BEST BACON CORNBREAD
- SKILLET CORNBREAD PIZZA
- CORNBREAD WAFFLES WITH CHILI & FIXINS
- CHEESY BEEFY CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
- CORNBREAD TACO BAKE
- SKILLET CAPRESE CORNBREAD
SWEET SOUTHERN CORNBREAD
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray 8x8 baking dish (or 8-inch round cast iron skillet) with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all your wet ingredients: honey, egg, butter, milk and water.
- In a separate bowl, combine all your dry ingredients: sugar, corn meal, flour, baking powder and salt. Give it a gentle stir with a fork to combine.
- While whisking, slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet until all combined.
- Batter may be a little lumpy, that’s okay.
- Pour mixture into greased 8 x8 baking dish (or cast iron).
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until set in the middle and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Heat up your cast iron skillet in the oven before adding the cornbread batter. Be sure to adjust the baking time accordingly. Measuring sticky honey tip:
Here’s a tip for getting the honey out of your measuring spoon. Spray the spoon with nonstick spray first. Then pour in honey, this will help keep the honey from sticking. For Mexican cornbread:
Add about half a small can of chopped green chiles and ¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Also, if you like corn bits in your cornbread, just add a small can of corn, you could even use some creamed corn in here as well.
Originally published: January 2011
Recipe updated & republished: January 2019