This homemade Sweet Southern Cornbread is simple and made with real honey. Bake it up in a cast iron skillet or baking pan. Moist and sweet!
SWEET SOUTHERN CORNBREAD
Since first publishing this recipe on the site in January 2011, I have received a lot of feedback. Basically, folks either love sweet cornbread or they don't. Depending on what part of the country you live in, you may even have a different name for it. I've heard it called Johnny Cake, Corn Cake and more. What I am saying is, folks have very strong opinions on the subject.
WHAT IS A JOHNNY CAKE?
Cornbread is a bit like iced tea. Folks either love it sweet or not sweet. There seems to be no in-between. Personally I am in the strong and sweet category. 🙂 Johnny Cake is a northern American term for a sweet corn cake. Also, this Sweet Southern Cornbread (or corn cake or Johnny cake) can be made in a baking dish or a cast iron skillet.
WHAT IS GOOD TO SERVE WITH CORNBREAD?
- You really must try this with some TEXAS ROADHOUSE WHIPPED CINNAMON HONEY BUTTER! Oh my word, it is so good!
- It also goes so good with some CAJUN DIRTY RICE or even with a warm bowl of CROCK POT CHILI.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- yellow corn meal
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
HOW TO MAKE SOUTHERN CORNBREAD:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 8x8 baking dish (or 8-inch round cast iron skillet) with nonstick spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together all your wet ingredients: honey, egg, butter, milk and water.
In a separate bowl, combine all your dry ingredients: sugar, corn meal, flour, baking powder and salt. Give it a stir with a whisk or a fork to combine. While whisking, slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet until all combined. Batter may be a little lumpy, that’s okay.
Pour mixture into greased baking dish (or cast iron.)
Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until set in the middle and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
My favorite way to eat it is with a big pat of butter and drizzled with honey!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? BE SURE TO TRY THESE!
- THE BEST CROCK POT BEEF CHILI
- THE BEST LOUISIANA GUMBO
- CROCK POT SWEET CORN SPOON BREAD
- HOMEMADE SAUSAGE GRAVY
- EASY HOMEMADE YEAST ROLL BISCUITS
- THE BEST BACON CORNBREAD
- SKILLET CORNBREAD PIZZA
- CORNBREAD WAFFLES WITH CHILI & FIXINS
- CHEESY BEEFY CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
- CORNBREAD TACO BAKE
- SKILLET CAPRESE CORNBREAD
SWEET SOUTHERN CORNBREAD
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray 8"x 8" baking dish (or 8-inch round cast iron skillet) with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all your wet ingredients: honey, egg, butter, milk and water.
- In a separate bowl, combine all your dry ingredients: sugar, corn meal, flour, baking powder and salt. Give it a gentle stir with a fork to combine.
- While whisking, slowly add your dry ingredients to your wet until all combined.
- Batter may be a little lumpy, that’s okay.
- Pour mixture into greased baking dish.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until set in the middle and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Like it crispy? Heat up your cast iron skillet in the oven before adding the cornbread batter. Be sure to adjust the baking time accordingly.
- Measuring sticky honey tip: Here’s a tip for getting the honey out of your measuring spoon. Spray the spoon with nonstick spray first. Then pour in honey, this will help keep the honey from sticking.
- For Mexican-style cornbread: Add about half a small can of chopped green chiles and ¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Also, if you like corn bits in your cornbread, just add a small can of corn, you could even use some creamed corn in here as well.
Originally published: January 2011
Recipe updated & republished: January 2019