This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Lipton. The opinions and text are all mine.
Cornbread Salad with a twist
This ain’t your Momma’s cornbread salad! Southern cornbread salad is traditionally served in a big trifle dish with a dressing of mayonnaise and sour cream. We are going to take cornbread salad to the next level today! First of all, I’m layering it in a cake pan. I think this makes it so much easier for family and friends to serve themselves and also so they can take advantage of every layer of the salad. And then I am topping it with a super simple BBQ ranch Dressing.
Summertime is served
We served this to some friends we had over recently. We ate BBQ Chicken and had this as a side dish. And of course I busted out my dollar store red, white and blue decor. I’ve gotten a lot of use out of these cheap decorations. It adds a bit of fun to your regular ole 4th of July cookout.
Make it a Meal
Everyone really enjoyed this twist on cornbread salad. In fact, everyone went back for seconds and thirds – ha! And then I made it a #Lipton Meal by putting out lots of bottles of Lipton Peach Iced Tea. I love setting up meals where everyone can just help themselves. Grab a bottle of Lipton then fix your plate.
Want to take it to the next level? Lipton wants you to have an ultimate mealtime moment at Lipton’s Food Network Star Experience in New York City on October 7th by entering the Lipton Food Network Star Experience Sweepstakes. The sweepstakes runs from May 22nd – September 9th. Head on over to LiptonMeal.com for your chance to win this trip of a lifetime.
No trifle dish necessary
I think I am going to start using this idea for any recipe that calls for a trifle dish. I think you can get to all the layers much more easily and it makes for easier serving than a tall and deep trifle dish. Now, it looks pretty in a trifle dish but I think it’s much more functional in a cake pan. Also, for me, just adding a sour cream mayonnaise dressing just doesn’t cut it in the flavor department. This super simple barbecue ranch dressing takes this salad to a whole other level!
2 (6 oz) packets cornbread mix
ingredients needed to make cornbread according to package
1 (14 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 oz) can corn, drained
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cucumber, chopped
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 1/2 cups ranch dressing
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1 romaine lettuce heart, roughly chopped
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
sliced green onion
Top with a layer of pinto beans, followed by the corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, and onion.
In a medium bowl, mix together the ranch dressing and barbecue sauce.
Pour evenly on top of salad.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Then dig in!
Serve with your favorite Lipton bottled tea (I highly recommend Lipton Peach Iced Tea). 🙂
Cake Pan Cornbread Salad
- 2 6 oz packets cornbread mix
- 1 14 oz can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 14 oz can corn drained
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cucumber chopped
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 romaine lettuce heart roughly chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- sliced green onion
- Prepare cornbread mixes according to package directions. Let cool and cut into 1" cubes. Layer cornbread on bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with a layer of pinto beans, followed by the corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, and onion.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ranch dressing and barbecue sauce.
- Pour evenly on top of salad.
- Top with a layer of romaine lettuce. Note: You may need to gently press down this layer. Then top with cheddar cheese, bacon and green onion.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to serve.