Creativity and contests!
It’s that time of year again! The National Cornbread Festival is happening in the small town (but with big hearts!) of South Pittsburg, Tennessee! It happens every year in April. This year it is the weekend of April 29th and April 30th. I have been fortunate enough to visit the festival a couple of times over the years. It is totally worth the journey to this special little town in Tennessee. They roll out the red carpet for visitors every year and it is always so much fun! It’s perfect family fun.
One of the highlights of the festival is the Cornbread Cook-Off. Each year finalists are chosen to come to South Pittsburg to cook their entries and serve them up to the judges to see whose recipe is crowned the best! The rules are pretty simple. The contestants must create and cook their own original recipe. The original recipe must include at least one packet of Martha White cornbread mix and be cooked in a Lodge cast iron skillet.
My own twist…
So each year I have a little fun and create my own Cornbread Cook-Off inspired recipe. This year I went with a fun family recipe. My son absolutely loved this one. I have to say that it really turned out so good! I am really pleased with it! I hope you love it too!
1 (6 oz.) packet Martha White Buttermilk Cornbread mix
2/3 cup water
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided use
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
salt and pepper, to taste
1 (14 oz.) jar pizza sauce
Preheat oven to 400f degrees. Spray a 10-inch cast iron skillet with Crisco no stick cooking spray. In a bowl, whisk together cornbread mix with water. Stir in 1/4 cup shredded cheese and Italian seasoning.
Drain excess grease and put back into the pan. Stir in pizza sauce.Once cornbread has finished baking, carefully remove from the oven. Spread beef mixture on top in an even layer.Sprinkle with remaining cheese and top with pepperoni slices.Place back in oven and bake for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Martha White. As always, all opinions are my own.
- 1 6 oz packet Martha White Buttermilk Cornbread mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese divided use
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 14 oz jar pizza sauce
- pepperoni slices
- Preheat oven to 400f degrees. Spray a 10-inch cast iron skillet with Crisco no stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together cornbread mix with water. Stir in 1/4 cup shredded cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Pour mixture into skillet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, brown and crumble ground beef along with onion and pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Drain excess grease and put back into the pan. Stir in pizza sauce.
- Once cornbread has finished baking, spread beef mixture on top in an even layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and top with pepperoni slices.
- Place back in oven and bake for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Slice it into wedges and serve! This is easiest to eat with a fork. 🙂