I’ve been in a pizza mood lately. I’ve been craving pizza and anything that tastes like pizza. Did you catch the Pizza Pasta Salad from last week? And now I’m sharing another pizza-inspired recipe: Pizza Pasta Bake.
It’s so fun to make recipes like this because it is just a small twist on the usual pasta dishes. So you can make an easy dish but put a fun spin on it that your whole family can really enjoy. And if you have leftovers, it’s a great dish to reheat at work the next day. Feel free to customize this with other favorite pizza toppings. Well..except for maybe pineapple or anchovies…I’m not sure I’d go there.
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 (14 oz.) jar pizza sauce
3/4 cup water
3 cups rotini pasta (measure before cooking)
2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided use
36 slices pepperoni, divided use
- 1 lb ground beef (or sausage)
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 14 oz jar pizza sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 cups rotini pasta measure before cooking
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese divided use
- 36 slices pepperoni divided use
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain pasta well.
- Brown ground beef with onion, garlic and Italian seasoning.
Start preheating oven to 350F degrees
- Drain excess grease from ground beef.
- In a large bowl, mix together pizza sauce and water.
- Add in cooked pasta, 1 1/2 cups mozarella cheese, cooked ground beef and 20 slices of pepperoni (that have been sliced in half).
- Stir well.
- Spray 8 x 8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour in pasta mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Place remaining pepperoni slices on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes (until cheese is melted).
Note: I like to spray the inside of the aluminum foil with nonstick spray so the cheese doesn't stick to it while baking or use nonstick aluminum foil. You can substitute the jar of pizza sauce & water for one jar of spaghetti sauce. Have fun with this dish and add more of your favorite pizza toppings like mushrooms & green peppers!