You’ll love this no-fuss Seven Layer Salad! The perfect summer side dish that can be prepped ahead and served at all your cookouts, potlucks and BBQ’s!
A FUN LAYERED SALAD
What is more classic than a delicious Seven Layer Salad? This is one recipe that my family has been making for years and it never gets old! Super easy to throw together on the fly and everyone loves it. With fresh and tasty ingredients, you really can’t go wrong with this recipe. This Seven Layer Salad is my default, go-to recipe to make on short notice for any gathering1
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Yes! This makes a great make ahead dish. Just assemble and store covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 day in advance.
We use a trifle bowl that is 8-inches wide and 5-inches deep. You can also make this in a 9×13-inch baking dish as well.
You don’t want to chop them too small. Bite size is what we’re going for here. This ensures that you have evenly defined layers and that no ingredients will fall through into the others.
Romas are my personal preference for taste but you can use grape or cherry tomatoes cut in half for this.
You can if you’d like. Cover and place in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving. You can also serve this right away after assembling.
Traditional seven layer salad has this very basic dressing of mayonnaise and sugar. I know it doesn’t seem like much but it works. You could certainly add a dash of red wine vinaigrette to the mixture along with a dash of salt and pepper to jazz it up a bit.
This can be stored (covered) in the dish where it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- iceberg lettuce
- red onion
- green peppers
- hard-boiled eggs
- Roma tomatoes
- frozen peas
- shredded cheddar cheese
- granulated sugar
HOW TO MAKE A SEVEN LAYER SALAD:
Layer ingredients in the order listed up to the layer of peas.
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and sugar until combined and the sugar is dissolved.
Spread in an even layer on top of the peas.
Sprinkle the top evenly with cheddar cheese then the bacon.
Then dig in and enjoy!
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
Seven Layer Salad
For the salad:
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, rinsed, dried, and chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup chopped red onion (about 1 small)
- 2 cups chopped green pepper (about 3 medium)
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups chopped Roma tomatoes (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6-8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Layer ingredients in the order listed above up to the layer of peas.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and sugar until combined and the sugar is dissolved.
- Spread in an even layer on top of the peas.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with shredded cheddar cheese and bacon then serve!
- This can be made a day in advance and stored covered in the refrigerator.
- Cherry or grape tomatoes can be substituted for the Romas.
- Make sure you don’t cut your vegetables too small, we want bite sized pieces.
- You can reduce the dressing to 1 ½ cups mayonnaise and 1 ½ Tablespoons of granulated sugar.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.