Copycat Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad is full of chunks of chicken, mandarin oranges and the most scrumptious dressing ever!
A DELICIOUS COPYCAT RECIPE
If I order a salad at Applebees, it will usually be this one. It's a very filling salad and I absolutely love the dressing! It really is the dressing that makes the salad for me. So, I tested this dressing recipe for Oriental Chicken Salad so many times, I lost count. But I wanted to get it just right and I think I did that!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Whatever you enjoy, you can use here. Feel free to use the type of chicken that you and your family enjoy. The Applebees version uses breaded chicken breast chunks.
Just leave it out. You won't achieve the same flavor as the Applebee's version though. Sesame oil is very strong in flavor so use it sparingly.
As long as you don't coat the entire salad with the dressing, you can store it covered in your refrigerator for a maximum of 2 days. After that, the salad will wilt and become soft. The dressing itself can be stored in a covered container and will keep for about 2-3 weeks.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- frozen breaded chicken breast chunks
- romaine lettuce
- shredded carrots
- green onions
- slivered almonds
- mandarin oranges
- chow mein noodles
- rice wine vinegar
- dijon mustard
- sesame oil
HOW TO MAKE APPLEBEE'S ORIENTAL CHICKEN SALAD:
Prepare chicken using the directions on the back of the bag. You can also air fry the breaded chicken breast chunks. I don't recommend the microwave option.
While the chicken chunks are cooking, start preparing the salad. In a large bowl, combine chopped romaine lettuce and shredded cabbage.
Then toss in shredded carrots, green onions and slivered almonds.
Top with mandarin oranges and crunchy rice noodles.
To prepare the dressing, whisk together the mayonnaise, rice wine vinegar, honey, dijon mustard and sesame oil. Note: Sesame oil has a very strong flavor so don't overdo it.
Once the chicken is cooked, take it out of the oven.
Then add cooked chicken to your prepared salad and pour dressing on top.
Or you can keep the dressing on the side and everyone can help themselves.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS? GIVE THESE A TRY!
Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad
For the salad:
- 1 bag breaded chicken chunks or chicken nuggets
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 ounce packet slivered almonds
- 11 ounce can mandarin oranges, drained well
- ⅓ cup crunchy rice or chow mein noodles
For the dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 6 Tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 425f degrees. Place breaded chicken breast chunks onto a foil-lined baking sheet (or spray with nonstick cooking spray.)
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- While the chicken chunks are cooking, start preparing your salad.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped romaine lettuce and shredded cabbage.
- Then toss in shredded carrots, green onions and slivered almonds.
- Top with mandarin oranges and crunchy rice noodles.
- To prepare the dressing, whisk together the mayonnaise, rice wine vinegar, honey, dijon mustard and sesame oil.
- Once the chicken is cooked, take it out of the oven. Then add cooked chicken to the prepared salad and pour dressing on top.
- Sesame oil has a very strong flavor so don't overdo it.
- You can leave the dressing on the side if you prefer and everyone can add as much or as little as they like.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: March 2016
Updated & republished: May 2019