Copycat Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad is full of chunks of chicken, mandarin oranges and the most scrumptious dressing ever!
APPLEBEE'S ORIENTAL CHICKEN SALAD
If I order a salad at Applebees, it will usually be this one. It's a very filling salad and I absolutely love the dressing! It really is the dressing that makes the salad for me. So, I tested this dressing recipe for Oriental Chicken Salad so many times, I lost count. But I wanted to get it just right and I think I did that!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Whatever you enjoy, you can use here. Feel free to use the type of chicken that you and your family enjoy. The Applebees version uses breaded chicken breast chunks.
Just leave it out. You won't achieve the same flavor as the Applebee's version though. Sesame oil is very strong in flavor so use it sparingly.
As long as you don't coat the entire salad with the dressing, you can store it covered in your refrigerator for a maximum of 2 days. After that, the salad will wilt and become soft. The dressing itself can be stored in a covered container and will keep for about 2-3 weeks.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
for the salad:
- frozen breaded chicken breast chunks
- romaine lettuce
- shredded carrots
- green onions
- slivered almonds
- mandarin oranges
- chow mein noodles
for the dressing:
- rice wine vinegar
- dijon mustard
- sesame oil
HOW TO MAKE APPLEBEE'S ORIENTAL CHICKEN SALAD:
Prepare chicken using the directions on the back of the bag. You can also air fry the breaded chicken breast chunks. I don't recommend the microwave option.
While the chicken chunks are cooking, start preparing the salad. In a large bowl, combine chopped romaine lettuce and shredded cabbage.
Then toss in shredded carrots, green onions and slivered almonds.
Top with mandarin oranges and crunchy rice noodles.
To prepare the dressing, whisk together the mayonnaise, rice wine vinegar, honey, dijon mustard and sesame oil. Note: Sesame oil has a very strong flavor so don't overdo it.
Once your chicken is cooked, take it out of the oven.
Then add cooked chicken to your prepared salad and pour dressing on top.
Or you can keep the dressing on the side and everyone can help themselves.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS? GIVE THESE A TRY!
APPLEBEE'S ORIENTAL CHICKEN SALAD
For the salad:
- 1 bag Tyson® 100% Whole Grain Breaded Chicken Breast Chunks
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 2 oz packet slivered almonds
- 1 11 oz can mandarin oranges drained well
- ⅓ cup crunchy rice or chow mien noodles
For the dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoon honey
- 3 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 425f degrees.
- Place Tyson Chicken Breast Chunks onto a foil-lined baking sheet (or spray with nonstick cooking spray.)
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- While the chicken chunks are cooking, start preparing your salad.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped romaine lettuce and shredded cabbage.
- Then toss in shredded carrots, green onions and slivered almonds.
- Top with mandarin oranges and crunchy rice noodles.
- To prepare the dressing, whisk together the mayonnaise, rice wine vinegar, honey, dijon mustard and sesame oil.
- Once the chicken is cooked, take it out of the oven.
- Then add cooked chicken to the prepared salad and pour dressing on top.
- Or you can keep the dressing on the side and everyone can help themselves.
Originally published: March 2016
Updated & republished: May 2019