Taco Salad In The House
I grew up as a Navy brat (that’s what they call us military kids). My Dad was deployed pretty frequently. That left my Mom, who also worked outside the home, taking care of us kids by herself, fixing all the house disasters that always seemed to happen the minute Dad left and doing her best to get meals on the table. This was one of those meals. And let me tell ya, it is still a favorite of mine to this day.Looking for a great weeknight meal? Then look no further. Put all the ingredients out and let your kids or guests customize their salad exactly the way they like it. Or mix it all up and serve as a tossed salad!
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- water whatever the back of your packet of taco seasoning requires
- 1 bag of Doritos
- 1 can dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- ½ head lettuce shredded
- 1 block of medium cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 1 container of sour cream
- 1 bottle of catalina dressing
- Brown and drain beef of excess fat.
- Add packet of taco seasoning (whichever one is your favorite or if you make your own).
- Add necessary water.
- Let water reduce until the beef mixture is thick and the flavors melded.
- Turn off heat.
- Crush a handful (or more) of Doritos and place on plate.
- Next layer with a little taco beef mixture.
- Then add whatever toppings you prefer, kidney beans, shredded lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream and then lightly drizzle with Catalina dressing.
This is great to double to feed a larger crowd. Make a taco salad bar! Some other toppings include: salsa, pinto beans, olives or jalapenos. Or mix it all up and serve as a tossed salad!