Dorito Taco Salad is a huge favorite! A delicious combination of taco seasoned ground beef, Doritos, taco toppings and Catalina dressing.
A UNIQUE TACO SALAD RECIPE
This Doritos Taco Salad was one of those meals I ate a lot as a kid. I’m sure most of us kids who grew up in the 70’s and 80’s remember this one really well. I still make it often to this day! It’s a really flavorful salad and you can customize it in so many different ways! This taco salad is also perfect to set up as Taco Bar. Put out all the different ingredients and let guests make their own individual salads they way they like it!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Other toppings include: salsa, pinto beans, sliced olives, jalapeños and sliced green onions.
No you could use tortilla chips instead of the Doritos.
You’ve got three good options. Catalina is my first choice. However, you could use French or Russian dressing since they are so similar.
You’ll usually see kidney beans or black beans. Pinto beans are another great option!
Leftovers can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerated for at lest one day. Keep in mind, the lettuce will get soggy. So if you are planning on leftovers, try to keep all the ingredients separate until you are ready to prepare.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- ground beef
- taco seasoning
- kidney beans or black beans
- cheddar cheese
- Catalina or French dressing
- sour cream
HOW TO MAKE DORITOS TACO SALAD:
Brown and drain beef of excess grease.
Add packet of taco seasoning (whichever one is your favorite or make your own.) Add necessary water (following directions on back of package.) Let water reduce until the beef mixture is thick. Turn off heat.
Crush Doritos and place in a large bowl. Add in beef mixture. Then add in kidney beans, shredded lettuce, cheese and diced tomatoes.
Stir. Finally, drizzle with Catalina or French dressing.
Top each serving with sour cream.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Originally published: January 2011
Updated and republished: May 2019
Doritos Taco Salad (+Video)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2/3 cups water, (or whatever amount the back of your packet of taco seasoning requires)
- 10.5 ounce bag Doritos (Nacho Cheese flavor)
- 15.5 ounce can dark red kidney beans or black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ head Romaine or iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 block cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 8 ounce container sour cream
- 8 ounce bottle Catalina or French dressing (or to taste)
- Brown and crumble ground beef in a medium skillet. Once cooked, drain excess grease
- Add packet of taco seasoning and water.
- Let water reduce until the beef mixture is thick. Turn off heat.
- Crush Doritos and place into a large bowl.
- Next add in taco beef mixture.
- Then add beans, shredded lettuce, cheese and diced tomatoes.
- Then lightly drizzle with Catalina dressing. Stir well.
- Serve topped with sour cream.
- Use as much dressing as you prefer. I usually start with half a bottle and add more from there until you get it how you like it.
- This is great to double to feed a larger crowd. Make a taco salad bar! Let your guests create their own taco salad combinations!
- Other toppings include: salsa, pico de gallo, pinto beans, sliced olives, jalapeños and sliced green onions and guacamole.
- Sliced cherry or grape tomatoes can be used.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.