Crock Pot Shredded BBQ Chicken is delicious, tender chicken that is easily made with frozen chicken breasts, bbq sauce and special seasoning!
A DELICIOUS SLOW COOKER CHICKEN RECIPE
This recipe for Crock Pot Shredded BBQ Chicken brings a little of those yummy barbecue flavor indoors. No need for a grill and this recipe is easy peasy. And anything I can make in the slow cooker on a busy weeknight is always a bonus.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
We like serving this over some Texas toast or on brioche hamburger buns. You can also eat it all by itself with a fork or maybe top it with my FAMOUS COLE SLAW!
Of course not! I am using frozen chicken breasts here because they are less expensive than their fresh counterparts and I usually always have some in my freezer. But you can use fresh chicken breasts or even chicken thighs.
Smoked paprika is just paprika that has a smokey flavor. Don't skimp on the smoked paprika. This is really going to give it that authentic barbecue taste.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- small onion
- smoked paprika
- salt & pepper
- bottled BBQ sauce (or make a HOMEMADE BBQ SAUCE)
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT BBQ CHICKEN:
Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place your chicken breasts into the bottom. Season with salt and pepper.
Then season with smoked paprika. Smoked paprika is different than the regular paprika. It's just like it's name suggests. It has smoke flavor added which really brings a lot of flavor to a BBQ dish like this. Also add in minced garlic and diced onion.
Pour BBQ sauce all over the top.
Cover and cook on low for about 6-8 hours. When ready, take the chicken out and shred with two forks. The chicken will be so tender that this will be an easy job. Put shredded chicken back in crock pot and stir well to coat it with the BBQ sauce mixture.
And serve. I like to eat mine like an open-faced sandwich on thick toasted bread. But you can certainly eat it on hamburger buns too!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
Crock Pot BBQ Chicken (+Video)
- 2-3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 18 ounce bottle BBQ sauce
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place frozen chicken breasts into the bottom.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper & smoked paprika.
- Add in minced garlic and diced onion
- Pour BBQ sauce all over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6-8 hours.
- When ready, take the chicken out and shred with two forks.
- Put shredded chicken back in crock pot and stir well to coat it with the BBQ sauce mixture. Then serve!
- Eat these as an open-faced sandwich on Texas toast or on a hamburger bun.
- Fresh or frozen chicken breasts can be used.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: January 2011
Updated & Republished: June 2020