Crock Pot Shredded BBQ Chicken is delicious, tender chicken that is easily made with frozen chicken breasts, bbq sauce and special seasoning!
CROCK POT SHREDDED BBQ CHICKEN
This recipe for Crock Pot Shredded BBQ Chicken brings a little of those yummy barbecue flavor indoors. No need for a grill and this recipe is easy peasy. And anything I can make in the slow cooker on a busy weeknight is always a bonus.
Frequently asked questions:
We like serving this over some Texas toast or on brioche hamburger buns. You can also eat it all by itself with a fork or maybe top it with my FAMOUS COLE SLAW!
Of course not! I am using frozen chicken breasts here because they are less expensive than their fresh counterparts and I usually always have some in my freezer. But you can use fresh chicken breasts or even chicken thighs.
Smoked paprika is just paprika that has a smokey flavor. Don't skimp on the smoked paprika. This is really going to give it that authentic barbecue taste.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- small onion
- smoked paprika
- salt & pepper
- bottled BBQ sauce (or make a HOMEMADE BBQ SAUCE)
Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place your chicken breasts into the bottom. Season with salt & pepper.
Then season with smoked paprika. Smoked paprika is different than the regular paprika. It's just like it's name suggests. It has smoke flavor added which really brings a lot of flavor to a BBQ dish like this. Also add in minced garlic and diced onion.
Pour BBQ sauce all over the top.
Cover and cook on low for about 6-8 hours. When ready, take the chicken out and shred with two forks. The chicken will be so tender that this will be an easy job. Put shredded chicken back in crock pot and stir well to coat it with the BBQ sauce mixture.
And serve. I like to eat mine like an open-faced sandwich on thick toasted bread. But you can certainly eat it on hamburger buns too!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
BBQ PINEAPPLE CHICKEN
CROCK POT ROTISSERIE CHICKEN
ONE POT BBQ CHICKEN PASTA
CROCK POT WHOLE BBQ CHICKEN
CROCK POT GARLIC PARMESAN CHICKEN
CROCK POT LASAGNA
CROCK POT PORK CHOPS & GRAVY
SLOW COOKER COCA-COLA BBQ WINGS
CROCK POT CUBED STEAK & GRAVY
CROCK POT SHREDDED BBQ CHICKEN
- 2-3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (18 oz) bottle BBQ sauce
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place frozen chicken breasts into the bottom.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper & smoked paprika.
- Add in minced garlic and diced onion
- Pour BBQ sauce all over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6-8 hours.
- When ready, take the chicken out and shred with two forks.
- Put shredded chicken back in crock pot and stir well to coat it with the BBQ sauce mixture. Then serve!
But you can certainly eat it on hamburger buns too!
Originally published: January 2011
Updated & Republished: June 2020