This Alabama White Sauce only takes 5 minutes to make and is a great condiment for topping, drizzling, dipping and more!
A TASTY HOMEMADE SAUCE RECIPE
There is nothing that I like more than a homemade bbq sauce. My mom is originally from Alabama and she would make this Alabama White Sauce all the time and we have always adored it. It is such a versatile sauce and good on so many things! It only takes 5 minutes to prepare and an hour to chill. Once you try this type of creamy white bbq sauce, there really is no going back! There is just something about this Alabama White Sauce recipe that will have you using it over and over!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Alabama White Sauce or White BBQ Sauce is a creamy barbecue sauce that is sweet and tangy with a hint of spice from horseradish. It is typically served with barbecued chicken but can be used with other meats.
There are a few small differences between the two sauces. Comeback Sauce is from Mississippi and it is similar to Yum Yum sauce. While it is also mayonnaise based, it contains ketchup where Alabama White Sauce does not. Alabama White Sauce also has additional ingredients like apple cider vinegar that enhances the flavor among other things.
To me, horseradish is the secret ingredient to Alabama white sauce. It gives that unique heat you can’t get from other ingredients but it is not an overwhelming flavor in the sauce.
This sauce has a bite to it but I wouldn't exactly call it hot and spicy. It just has a little "kick" to it. If you want it more spicy, you could add some cayenne pepper. Or if you want less "kick", remove the cayenne pepper and use a regular yellow or dijon mustard instead of the spicy brown mustard.
This white bbq sauce can be used on (and in) so many dishes from topping sandwiches and as a dipping sauce for fried green tomatoes, okra, hush puppies, etc. This is also great as a salad dressing. Just try things with it and you will surprise yourself on how well it works with so many recipes.
Yes, I like for it to chill for at least 1 hour before using it so the flavors can marry. Personally I think the longer it chills, the better the flavors get.
This can be stored in a lidded jar in the refrigerator where it will keep for up to 2 weeks. We do not recommend freezing.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- apple cider vinegar
- light brown sugar
- spicy brown mustard
- prepared horseradish
- lemon juice
- worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt
- cayenne pepper
HOW TO MAKE ALABAMA WHITE SAUCE:
In a medium-sized bowl add the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Gently whisk together until fully combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or place the sauce in an airtight container. Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour so the flavors can combine.
Place in lidded container if desired after chilling.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
Alabama White Sauce
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- In a medium-sized bowl add the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Gently whisk together until fully combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or place the sauce in an air-tight container. Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour so the flavors can combine.
- This recipe makes approximately 2.5 cups of sauce.
- You can control your own spice level on this, see above on how to do that.
- This can be refrigerator for 2 weeks.
- Make sure that this chills for at least 1 hours.
- This goes great on so may recipes, see some ideas above.