This Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken is a creamy chicken taco filling made with chicken breasts, salsa, taco seasoning, cream of chicken and sour cream!
A FLAVORFUL SHREDDED CHICKEN RECIPE FOR TACOS!
I am always looking for new ways to add more flavor to my tacos, tostadas, burritos or taco salads. This creamy shredded salsa chicken is so simple to make but will take all of your Mexican inspired dishes to the next level. It is so simple to make and I promise that Taco Tuesday will never be boring again!
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SLOW COOKER AND A CROCK POT?
Nothing! They are the same thing. Crock Pot is just a name brand for a slow cooker. Most folks just use the words interchangeably. Also, if you are new to cooking, a slow cooker is a great way to get started. Most slow cooker recipes are incredibly easy and they don't require a lot of hands on attention. So I'm always on the lookout for slow cooker recipes to add to my recipe box. It's nice to have a bunch of favorites to choose from when I'm using my Crock Pot (slow cooker) regularly.
CAN I USE FROZEN CHICKEN BREASTS?
Yes! You can use frozen or fresh chicken breasts. It's a bit more budget-friendly and easy on the wallet if you use frozen chicken breasts instead of fresh. One pot of this will feed about 6 people (2 servings each.) It is a super creamy chicken dish that is delicious served on a soft, warm tortilla with chopped lettuce and diced tomato. Just be sure to use a MILD SALSA and taco seasoning if anyone in your family is sensitive to spicy food.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- cream of chicken soup
- taco seasoning
- sour cream
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT MEXICAN SHREDDED CHICKEN:
Spray the inside of your 4-6 quart slow cooker with some nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle taco seasoning on chicken. In a bowl, combine cream of chicken soup with salsa. Stir well. Pour mixture evenly over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Time will vary based on how large your chicken breasts are and whether you are using fresh or frozen chicken breasts. Also, many newer crock pot models run at a higher temperature than older models. So, if you have an older model, it may take up to 8 hours or a bit longer.
When chicken is ready, take chicken out and shred with two forks. Or you can shred it right in the slow cooker. I don't want to make your life more complicated, go with what is easiest for you. Put shredded chicken back in the pot.
Stir in sour cream. At this point you can turn off your slow cooker or put it on the "keep warm" setting.
Give it all a good stir.
You can serve this in a lot of different ways. Try adding cooked rotini or penne pasta (1 pound box) to the slow cooker when this is all done and stir well. It makes for an amazing pasta meal! Or serve in warm, soft tortilla shells or in a salad!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken (+Video)
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup salsa
- 10 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- ½ cup sour cream
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with some nonstick cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts into the crock pot. Sprinkle taco seasoning on chicken.
- In a bowl, combine cream of chicken soup with salsa. Pour mixture evenly over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- When chicken is ready, take chicken out and shred with two forks. Put shredded chicken back in the pot.
- Stir in sour cream.
- At this point you can turn off your slow cooker or put it on the "keep warm" setting. Stir and serve in warm tortillas, crunchy tacos or in a taco salad!
- My personal favorite brand of salsa is Herdez (mild) brand salsa and Pace Picante as a backup. Rotel can also be used in place of the salsa but I don't think it provides as much flavor.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.