Crock Pot Taco Joes are like sloppy joes with a taco twist. This filling is amazing in tacos and burritos or on tostadas. A huge family favorite!
A SIMPLY DELICIOUS CROCK POT MEAL
My folks had pretty exhausting jobs growing up, so supper was usually kept simple, but hey, we all loved those simple meals! So when I come across recipes like this one for Crock Pot Taco Joes, it automatically feels comforting to me because it reminds me of a childhood meal.
CAN I USE THE TACO JOE FILLING FOR TACOS OR BURRITOS?
This stuff is so good! We all loved it. This makes a great filling and not just for these taco joes. I made this to use in tacos, taco salad and tostadas and it was amazing! Make taco night just a little more extraordinary! And it's a slow cooker recipe! Y'all know how much I enjoy crock pot cooking. It comes from Gooseberry Patch's new cookbook, '101 Super-Easy Slow Cooker Recipes'. Well, ya know when the words "easy" and "slow cooker" are involved, I am all in.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR CROCK POT TACO JOES: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- ground beef
- refried beans
- enchilada sauce
- taco seasoning
- hot dog buns
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT TACO JOES:
First you gotta brown and crumble your ground beef. Note: I have one of those slow cooker that allows you to sauté meat as well. I can brown the meat and cook it low and slow all in one cooker!
It has a stovetop setting. I just flip that on high then brown and crumble the ground beef with the lid off. This saves on having one more pan to wash! This produced a lot of grease!
Drain excess grease.
Pop the ground beef back in the slow cooker and stir in the refried beans, enchilada sauce, taco seasoning and salsa. Stir together well. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
Then it's time to dig in! Spoon the filling into hot dog buns. This filling is so good and it will make 25 of these Taco Joes. Garnish with your favorite toppings.
This makes amazing taco and burrito filling or on taco salads. I love that this makes a generous amount. You can keep the filling in the slow cooker and let your family and friends serve themselves. And if you have some leftover, it freezes well.
WANT MORE RECIPES?
Crock Pot Taco Joes (+Video)
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 16 ounce can refried beans
- 10 ounce can enchilada sauce
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 16 ounce jar salsa
- 25 hot dog buns
- shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, for topping
- Brown and crumble ground beef. Drain excess grease.
- Put the cooked ground beef into a 5-6 quart slow cooker and stir in the refried beans, enchilada sauce, taco seasoning and salsa.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Then serve in hot dog buns topped with your favorite toppings.
- This makes an amazing taco and burrito filling or on taco salads.
- You can keep the filling in the slow cooker (on the warm setting) and let your family and friends serve themselves.
- Leftovers freeze well.
- This can easily be made on the stovetop. Cook ground beef, drain grease, add back to pan with refried beans, enchilada sauce and taco seasoning. Stir well. Cover until heated through. Stir occasionally.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: April 2014
Updated & republished May 2019