I don’t think there is anything quite like a good ole Sloppy Joe. I just love them. It is a meal that is so much a part of my childhood. And I like to have a little fun making different versions of the traditional Sloppy Joe. This one has a BBQ twist.
This is a quick little recipe that is perfect for a weeknight meal. You can twist it up and change it to add flavors that your family likes. Don’t like tomatoes? You can leave those out. Note: if you leave out the tomatoes, you’ll probably want to leave the sugar out too since that sugar is added to help balance out the acidity of the tomatoes. Want more BBQ flavor? Then cut the amount of ketchup in half and add in more BBQ sauce. You can also add in onions and green peppers. Or kick up the heat and try adding some chopped jalapeños. It really is a fun recipe to play with but one that is definitely family friendly. And that garlic Texas Toast on the bottom just adds a kick of flavor to the whole party. Be sure to check out the Chicken Parmesan Pizza I shared last week if you missed it. That one uses garlic Texas toast as a base too and is SO good!
1 pound ground beef
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. sugar
1 box (8 slices) frozen garlic Texas toast
1 cup (or more) shredded cheddar cheese
Drain excess grease.
Return meat to skillet and add in diced tomatoes, ketchup, barbecue sauce, worcestershire sauce and sugar. Note: The added sugar is optional in this. I think it helps balance out the acidity of the tomatoes. But if you are using a very sweet barbecue sauce then you may not feel the added sugar is necessary. Just go by taste here.
Ummm, why yes, that is my sock foot in the picture. This is the glamorous life y’all.
Give it all a good stir until combined then cover and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes. While this is cooking, prepare your garlic Texas toast according to package directions.
When bread is ready, spoon filling on top of bread and then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Cheesy BBQ Sloppy Joes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 6 -8
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 oz can diced tomatoes 14.5
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp . Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp . sugar
- 1 slices box frozen garlic Texas toast 8
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or more
- Brown and crumble ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drain excess grease.
- Return meat to skillet and add in diced tomatoes, ketchup, barbecue sauce,
- worcestershire sauce and sugar.
- Give it all a good stir until combined then cover and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes. While this is cooking, prepare your garlic Texas toast according to package directions.
- When bread is ready, spoon filling on top of bread and then sprinkle with shredded cheese.