These Texas toast Sloppy Joes are the most deliciously easy BBQ flavored sloppy joes on top of garlic Texas toast topped with melted cheese!
OPEN-FACED BBQ SLOPPY JOES
I don’t think there is anything quite like good ole Sloppy Joes. I just love them. It is a meal that is so much a part of my childhood. And I like to have a little fun making different versions of the traditional Sloppy Joe. This one has a BBQ twist. This is a quick little recipe that is perfect for a weeknight meal. You can twist it up and change it to add flavors that your family likes.
TIPS FOR MAKING TEXAS TOAST SLOPPY JOES
- Don’t like tomatoes? You can leave those out.
- Want more BBQ flavor? Then cut the amount of ketchup in half and add in more BBQ sauce.
- You can also add in onions and green peppers.
- Or kick up the heat and try adding some chopped jalapeños. It really is a fun recipe to play with but one that is definitely family friendly. And that garlic Texas Toast on the bottom just adds a kick of flavor to the whole party.
- Be sure to check out my Chicken Parmesan Pizzas recipe. That one uses garlic Texas toast as a base too and is SO good!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW FOR THE FULL RECIPE)
- ground beef
- diced tomatoes
- bottled barbecue sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- garlic Texas toast
- shredded cheddar cheese
HOW TO MAKE TEXAS TOAST SLOPPY JOES:
Brown and crumble ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain excess grease.
Return meat to skillet and add in diced tomatoes, ketchup, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce and sugar. Note: The added sugar is optional in this. I think it helps balance out the acidity of the tomatoes. But if you are using a very sweet barbecue sauce then you may not feel the added sugar is necessary. Just go by taste here.
Give it all a good stir until combined then cover and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes. While this is cooking, prepare your garlic Texas toast according to package directions. When bread is ready, spoon filling on top of bread and then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Originally published: March 2013
Updated & Republished: March 2020
Texas Toast Sloppy Joes (+Video)
- Brown and crumble 1 pound ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain excess grease.
- Return meat to skillet and add in 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, 1 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce, 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and 2 Tablespoons sugar.
- Give it all a good stir until combined then cover and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes. While this is cooking, prepare the 1 box (8 slices) frozen garlic Texas toast according to package directions.
- When bread is ready, spoon filling on top of bread and then sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and serve. Note: if you prefer, you can stick these into the oven to brown the cheese on top.
- The added sugar is optional in this. I think it helps balance out the acidity of the tomatoes. But if you are using a very sweet barbecue sauce then you may not feel the added sugar is necessary. Just go by taste.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.