Come see why this recipe is going viral on Tik Tok! These old-school Cafeteria Noodles are a nostalgic, comforting and super easy side dish recipe that everyone loves!
A CLASSIC, FLAVORFUL SIDE DISH
This recipe for Cafeteria Noodles is going viral on Tik Tok right now for good reason - they taste amazing! These are the perfect side dish for any night of the week and they pack a lot of flavor! Served at schools and cafeteria restaurants back in the day, they are a budget-friendly recipe that everyone will love!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Absolutely! If you want to make this a whole meal-in-one, you could add some ground beef, chicken (ground, grilled or rotisserie) or even turkey! You could even add some veggies like peas, mushrooms or steamed broccoli.
I haven’t tested anything other than dried egg noodles so I can’t say for sure if others will work. For best results, follow this recipe as written.
The theme of this recipe is chicken flavor as we use chicken stock and chicken bouillon so I do not recommend using an other soup other than cream of chicken. But if you decide to experiment, please let me know!
This question is debatable. Since this has been around since at least the 70's, it is theorized that they are called this because they were served in school cafeterias or cafeteria-style restaurants.
We love topping this with parsley (for some color) but you can also top with chopped green onions or some parmesan cheese for some extra flavor.
This is one of those recipes you have to make as written for it to turn out as it should. Chicken bouillon cubes are very inexpensive so I recommend purchasing it. They can be used for adding so much flavor to chicken dishes!
These can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator where they will keep for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- chicken stock (or broth)
- chicken bouillon cube
- egg noodles
- cream of chicken soup
- salted butter
- parsley, for garnish (optional)
HOW TO MAKE CAFETERIA NOODLES:
In a large pot with a lid add the chicken stock and bouillon cube and bring up to a boil over medium high heat. When the stock comes to a boil add in the egg noodles and stir.
Let the stock come back up to a boil then add in the cream of chicken soup and stir. Bring up to a boil and let boil for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the stick of butter. Cover with a lid and let sit for 20 minutes.
Top with parsley if desired.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES?
Original recipe by @carols_cookin
Cafeteria Noodles (+Video)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 16 ounces egg noodles
- 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 stick (½ cup) salted butter
- parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot or deep skillet with a lid add the chicken stock and bouillon cube and bring up to a boil over medium high heat.
- When the stock comes to a boil add in the egg noodles and stir. Let the stock come back up to a boil.
- Add in the cream of chicken soup and stir. Bring up to a boil and let boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the stick of butter.
- Cover with a lid and let sit for 20 minutes. Top with parsley if desired. Then serve!
- We have not tried this with anything but egg noodles.
- You can add some meat and/or veggies for more substance, if desired, see suggestions above.
- Top with parsley, green onions or parmesan.
- If you are sensitive to sodium, try low or no sodium options.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.