Frito Chili Pie is a Texas favorite! Frito corn chips topped with an easy homemade chili, shredded cheese and diced onions!
FRITO CORN CHIPS TOPPED WITH CHILI AND CHEESE
I didn't become familiar with this particular way of eating chili until we moved to Texas. There were a lot of things I did not know until I moved to Texas, really. Texas is almost like a whole other country unto itself. I was introduced to Frito Chili Pie while we lived there. Now, I'm still not sure exactly why it's called a Pie. Maybe because of the layers it comes in on your plate? It is such a fun and different way to eat chili and I was immediately hooked.
WHAT IS WALKING FRITO PIE
Now, what a lot of folks out there like to do (and I noticed this quite a bit at football games) was to take smaller single-serving packs of Fritos and then slice them open on the side, then serve the chili right inside the packets of Fritos. Then add in additional toppings of cheese, diced onions and minced jalapeños. You just hand everyone a fork and they each have their own individual servings of Frito Chili. It makes for an easy cleanup too! See my photos below on how to do that!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- ground beef
- garlic cloves
- tomato sauce
- tomato paste
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- water (or beef broth)
- Fritos corn chips
Note: This is a basic, thick chili recipe. If you like chili with beans, add in a can of drained and rinsed kidney beans. Also, if you have it on hand, try beef broth instead of water to give this chili and even "beefier" flavor.
HOW TO MAKE FRITO CHILI PIE:
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown and crumble ground beef along with onions and garlic. Drain excess grease.
Add in tomato sauce, paste, seasonings and water (or beef broth.)
Stir well until combined. Give it a taste, see if it needs a bit more salt and pepper.
Turn heat down to medium-low and allow mixture to simmer for at least 20 minutes.
Put a handful of Frito chips on a plate or in a bowl. Top with chili mixture. Then add on any toppings you enjoy like sour cream, shredded cheese, diced red onions, and for some spicy heat, add minced jalapeños.
To make Walking Frito Chili Pie, just cut open the tops of single serving bags. Pour a little chili on top of the chips.
At this point you can allow everyone to top them how they like (shredded cheese, sour cream and diced onions).
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
FRITO CHILI PIE
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 cloves small garlic minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup water (or beef broth)
- 9.25 ounce bag Fritos corn chips (original or chili cheese flavor)
- sour cream
- grated cheddar cheese
- diced red onion
- minced jalapeño peppers
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown and crumble ground beef along with onions and garlic. Drain excess grease.
- Add in tomato sauce, paste, seasonings and water (or beef broth). Stir well until combined.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and allow mixture to simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- Put a handful of Frito chips on a plate or in a bowl. Top with chili mixture.
- Then add desired toppings (cheese, onion, jalapeños, sour cream)
- This is a basic, thick chili recipe. If you like chili with beans, add in a can of drained and rinsed kidney beans.
- Also, if you have it on hand, try beef broth instead of water to give this chili and even "beefier" flavor.
Originally published August 2013
Updated and republished: November 2021