Warm Lemon Pudding Cake
This cake could not be any easier or any tastier to make and eat. And the bonus? It can be done with just about any flavor cake mix/pudding combination you can think of. Lemon is my personal favorite but we’ve also made it with chocolate and a chocolate/vanilla combination and both were amazing!
Lemon Lava Cake
The pudding layer starts at the top and ends up on the bottom. I never thought I would love warm pudding this much. It transforms the whole taste of the cake. It doesn’t taste like a boxed cake mix at all when it’s all done. Everyone who tries this loves it! Perfect cold weather cake!
Note: I’ve made this both with and without sugar. To me, it is optional. It just depends on how sweet you want the pudding layer. I thought it was still very yummy without the added sugar. See my notes below on comparing boxed cake mixes.
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- (ingredients listed on back of box; eggs, oil and water)
- 2 3.4 oz boxes instant lemon pudding
- 1/3 cup sugar optional
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 1/4 cup water
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Pour batter into baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry pudding mixes with sugar, milk and water.
- Whisk briskly for 2 minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Spoon pudding mixture over cake mix batter.
- Once it is on there, it is hard to spread out since it kind just ends up sinking into the batter.
- Put a large baking sheet underneath your baking dish before sliding it in the oven.
- You'll want that underneath there while baking to catch any bubbling over of the pudding while baking.
- Bake for about 55 minutes to one hour.
- It's a bit tricky to tell when it is done because the pudding layer in it always stays a bit jiggly.
- So, what you want to do is take a toothpick and insert it into the middle of the cake.
- If it only comes out with pudding - you are good.
- If you still see gooey cake batter on it, then you need to bake it for a bit longer.
- When it’s finished baking, allow it to cool for about 20 minutes.
- This will allow that pudding layer to thicken up a bit more.
- Then serve with a bit of sprinkled powdered sugar on top.