This cake could not be any easier or any tastier to make and eat. And the bonus? It can be done with just about any flavor cake mix/pudding combination you can think of. Lemon is my personal favorite but we’ve also made it with chocolate and a chocolate/vanilla combination and both were amazing!
The pudding layer starts at the top and ends up on the bottom. I never thought I would love warm pudding this much. It transforms the whole taste of the cake. It doesn’t taste like a boxed cake mix at all when it’s all done. Everyone who tries this loves it! Perfect cold weather cake!
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- (ingredients listed on back of box; eggs, oil and water)
- 2 3.4 oz boxes instant lemon pudding
- 1/3 cup sugar optional
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 1/4 cup water
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Pour batter into baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry pudding mixes with sugar, milk and water.
- Whisk briskly for 2 minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Spoon pudding mixture over cake mix batter.
- Once it is on there, it is hard to spread out since it kind just ends up sinking into the batter.
- Put a large baking sheet underneath your baking dish before sliding it in the oven.
- You'll want that underneath there while baking to catch any bubbling over of the pudding while baking.
- Bake for about 55 minutes to one hour.
- It's a bit tricky to tell when it is done because the pudding layer in it always stays a bit jiggly.
- So, what you want to do is take a toothpick and insert it into the middle of the cake.
- If it only comes out with pudding - you are good.
- If you still see gooey cake batter on it, then you need to bake it for a bit longer.
- When it’s finished baking, allow it to cool for about 20 minutes.
- This will allow that pudding layer to thicken up a bit more.
- Then serve with a bit of sprinkled powdered sugar on top.