The Ultimate Lemon Poke Cake is made with lemon cake mix, lemon jell-o and topped with a delicious whipped lemon cream frosting!
THE ULTIMATE LEMON DESSERT RECIPE
I have a serious soft spot for lemon desserts. My family isn't as big a fan as me though. Every year for my birthday, I ask for a lemon cake. This Ultimate Lemon Poke Cake sure hits the spot. It's not only simple to make but it is always a hit with fellow lemon lovers like me.
CAN I USE OTHER FLAVORS FOR POKE CAKES?
Absolutely! The combinations are fun and endless. This recipe is similar to the one I use for my STRAWBERRY JELL-O POKE CUPCAKES. That recipe is just a white cake mix with strawberry jell-o. Or, in this recipe, you could substitute the lemon cake mix with a white or yellow cake mix and switch up the different jell-o flavors. A red, white and blue one would be perfect for your 4th of July celebrations!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- lemon cake mix
- ingredients needed to make cake: eggs, oil and water
- lemon Jell-O
- lemon frosting
- whipped topping (Cool Whip)
HOW TO MAKE LEMON POKE CAKE:
Bake cake according to package, remove from oven and let cool about 5 minutes, then poke holes all around the cake with fork, set aside.
In bowl whisk together Jell-O and hot water until jello is dissolved.
Whisk in the cold water then pour over the cake. Place in refrigerator to chill for 2-3 hours. To make frosting: In a large bowl add frosting and beat with hand mixer until fluffy.
Fold in the whipped topping then spread over chilled cake. Place back in refrigerator for about 2 hours to chill. Top with lemon slices if desired.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Lemon Poke Cake (+Video)
For the cake:
- 15.25 ounce box lemon cake mix
- (ingredients needed to make cake; eggs, oil and water)
- 3 ounce box lemon gelatin (Jell-O)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup cold water
For the frosting:
- 1 tub lemon frosting
- ½ tub (4 ounces) whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- Bake cake according to package. Remove from oven and let cool about 5 minutes.
- Poke holes all around the cake with fork, set aside.
- In bowl whisk together jello and hot water until jello is dissolved. Whisk in cold water then pour over the cake.
- Place cake in refrigerator to chill for 2-3 hours.
- To make frosting in bowl add your frosting and beat with hand mixer until fluffy.
- Fold in the whipped topping then spread over chilled cake.
- Place back in refrigerator for about 2 hours to chill.
- Top with lemon slices if desired.