The Ultimate Lemon Poke Cake is made with lemon cake mix, lemon jell-o and topped with a delicious whipped lemon cream frosting!
THE ULTIMATE LEMON DESSERT RECIPE
I have a serious soft spot for lemon desserts. My family isn’t as big a fan as me though. Every year for my birthday, I ask for a lemon cake. This Ultimate Lemon Poke Cake sure hits the spot. It’s not only simple to make but it is always a hit with fellow lemon lovers like me.
CAN I USE OTHER FLAVORS FOR POKE CAKES?
Absolutely! The combinations are fun and endless. This recipe is similar to the one I use for my Strawberry Jell-O Poke Cupcakes. That recipe is just a white cake mix with strawberry jell-o. Or, in this recipe, you could substitute the lemon cake mix with a white or yellow cake mix and switch up the different jell-o flavors. A red, white and blue one would be perfect for your 4th of July celebrations!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- lemon cake mix
- ingredients needed to make cake: eggs, oil and water
- lemon Jell-O
- lemon frosting
- whipped topping (Cool Whip)
HOW TO MAKE LEMON POKE CAKE:
Bake cake according to package, remove from oven and let cool about 5 minutes, then poke holes all around the cake with fork, set aside.
In bowl whisk together Jell-O and hot water until jello is dissolved.
Whisk in the cold water then pour over the cake. Place in refrigerator to chill for 2-3 hours. To make frosting: In a large bowl add frosting and beat with hand mixer until fluffy.
Fold in the whipped topping then spread over chilled cake. Place back in refrigerator for about 2 hours to chill. Top with lemon slices if desired.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Lemon Poke Cake (+Video)
For the cake:
- 15.25 ounce box lemon cake mix
- (ingredients needed to make cake; eggs, oil and water)
- 3 ounce box lemon gelatin (Jell-O)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup cold water
For the frosting:
- 1 tub lemon frosting
- 1/2 tub (4 ounces) whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- Bake cake according to package. Remove from oven and let cool about 5 minutes.
- Poke holes all around the cake with fork, set aside.
- In bowl whisk together jello and hot water until jello is dissolved. Whisk in cold water then pour over the cake.
- Place cake in refrigerator to chill for 2-3 hours.
- To make frosting in bowl add your frosting and beat with hand mixer until fluffy.
- Fold in the whipped topping then spread over chilled cake.
- Place back in refrigerator for about 2 hours to chill.
- Top with lemon slices if desired.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.