This no-bake dessert recipe for Homemade Kit Kat Bars is a family favorite! Layers of crackers, graham crackers, chocolate and peanut butter.
AN EASY LAYERED NO-BAKE DESSERT!
These types of bars were so popular at get-togethers when I was younger. Now, I will go on record to say these are not an exact replica of Kit Kat Bars but the concept is the same. You’ve got crunchy layers with a chocolate coating. That is really the similarity. This recipe for Homemade Kit Kat Bars uses crackers instead of a thin wafer and it’s got peanut butter instead of just all chocolate. But y’all get what I’m saying with this. We love these little bars and one pan will feed a crowd. They are a little crunchy, a little chocolate & peanut butter-y and all good!
TIPS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE KIT KAT BARS:
- You can use regular saltine crackers for this recipe but I think the club crackers hold up a little better.
- Dark, milk or even white chocolate can be used instead of the semi-sweet chocolate.
- Give these plenty of time to cool before slicing or they won’t slice up well for you. I sliced them up pretty large for these photos but you really can slice them much smaller since they are a little rich.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- club crackers
- salted butter
- light brown sugar
- graham cracker crumbs
- creamy peanut butter
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE KIT KAT BARS:
Line an un-greased 9×13-inch baking dish with a layer of club crackers.
In a large saucepan, over low to medium heat, melt butter and both sugars. Then add graham cracker crumbs and milk. Allow mixture to all gently melt and stir constantly until it is all combined well.
Remove from heat and spread half the butter mixture evenly over crackers.
Do your best to spread it out evenly. Top with another layer of crackers. Then spread the other half of the butter mixture on top. Then a final layer of crackers on top of that.
In a small saucepan, combine peanut butter and chocolate chips. Melt over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until completely melted and blended.
Spread evenly over top layer of crackers.
Cover with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge for an hour or two. You want that top chocolate layer to really cool down and firm up.
Once it is completely cooled, slice into small squares. You should be able to get about 2 1/2 dozen from this pan.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Originally published: September 2012
Updated & republished: May 2020
Homemade Kit Kat Bars (+Video)
- Line an ungreased 9×13-inch baking dish with layer of club crackers
- In a large saucepan, over low to medium heat, melt butter and both sugars gently – while stirring.
- Stir in graham cracker crumbs and milk. Stir well until all is melted and combined (do not allow mixture to boil.)
- Remove from heat and carefully spread half the butter mixture evenly over crackers. Spread it out as evenly as possible.
- Layer with another layer of crackers.
- Then spread the other half of the butter mixture on top.
- Then a final layer of crackers on top of that.
- In a small saucepan, combine peanut butter and chocolate chips. Melt over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until completely melted and blended.
- Spread evenly over top layer of crackers.
- Cover with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge for an hour or two. You want that top chocolate layer to really cool down and firm up.
- Once it is completely cooled, slice into small squares.
- Crunchy peanut butter can be used.
- These bars are pretty rich so I would suggest cutting them up into smaller squares (about 24).
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories and other nutritional values can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.