These Creamy Lemon Squares with a Nilla Wafer Crust are the ultimate lemon dessert. Easy to make and easy to eat!
CREAMY LEMON SQUARES
TIPS FOR MAKING THESE LEMON BARS:
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
fresh lemon juice
powdered sugar, for topping
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY LEMON SQUARES:
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Line an 8x8 baking pan with foil. I like the nonstick kind.First, crush your vanilla wafers.I am using my little food processor here but you can crush them by placing them in a ziploc bag and smash with a rolling pin.Mix in ½ cup flour and ¼ cup brown sugar. This is where a food processor comes in handy. You can just add it in and continue mixing it up!Next, add in sliced butter and pulse a few more times until combined.If you are doing this by hand, you'll want to use a fork for this part to help 'cut' the butter in. It should resemble coarse crumbs when you have it mixed in well.Place crumbs into prepared baking pan.Press the crumbs down with your hand. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.While the crust is baking, make the filling. Using an electric mixer (or stand mixer) beat together cream cheese and sugar until smooth and well-blended.Add Eggland's Best eggs, one at a time and 2 tbsp. flour; mix well.Stir in 2 tbsp. lemon zest to the batter. Note: When zesting lemons, you want to make sure you only zest the yellow part - not the white. The white part is bitter and we don't want bitter.Next, stir in ¼ cup lemon juice and baking powder. Mix well.Once the crust is ready. Take it out of the oven and pour the batter over the crust.Bake for 25-30 minutes (until center is set and not jiggly.) Let it cool completely then refrigerate for about 2 hours.I like to cut off the rough edges but it's not necessary. I just think it looks pretty that way...and I think it's my excuse to eat all the ends that I cut off.Dust the top with powdered sugar and sprinkle with remaining lemon zest.Then slice into 9 squares. Keep refrigerated.
CRAVING MORE RECIPES? GIVE THESE A TRY!
CREAMY LEMON SQUARES WITH NILLA CRUST
- 22 Nilla wafers finely crushed
- ½ cup flour + 2 tbsp. flour divided use
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup cold butter (½ stick)
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp lemon zest divided use
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- powdered sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with foil. I like the nonstick kind.
- Mix crushed Nilla wafers with ½ cup flour and ¼ cup brown sugar.
- Next, cut in sliced, cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Place crumbs into prepared baking pan and press down with your hand. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, make the filling.
- Using an electric mixer (or stand mixer) beat together cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time and 2 tbsp. flour; mix well.
- Then stir in 2 tbsp. lemon zest, lemon juice and baking powder. Mix well.
- Once the crust is ready. Take it out of the oven and pour the prepared filling over the crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (until center is set and not jiggly.) Let it cool completely then refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar and sprinkle with remaining lemon zest.
- Then slice into 9 squares.