This No-Bake Lemon Icebox Cake is made with shortbread cookies, sweetened cream cheese filling with a touch of lemon zest. No oven needed!
A DELICIOUS NO-BAKE LEMON DESSERT
There is no dessert more satisfying to me than a lemon one. I crave lemon desserts all year round. So the other day I was really wanting something lemon-y, but of course, didn't want to turn the oven on. This dessert comes together super quick and it's a fun little twist on the traditional icebox desserts that use graham crackers - like my No-Bake Chocolate Eclair Cake.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS ICEBOX DESSERT
- You can totally use graham crackers for this if you want (just don't dunk them first like this recipe calls for.)
- If you can't find the Dublin-style Pepperidge Farm cookies, just go with another crunchy type cookie like the Chessman cookies, shortbread cookies or even Nilla wafers.
- Fresh lemon juice is really going to make the difference here and give it a really fresh lemon taste. The bottled lemon juice will give it a bitter, unpleasant after taste.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- cream cheese
- lemon zest
- heavy cream
- Pepperidge Farm Dublin cookies (can use lemon or chessman too)
- fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- whipped cream, for serving
HOW TO MAKE NO-BAKE LEMON ICEBOX CAKE:
Using an electric or stand mixer, mix together cream cheese, sugar and lemon zest until smooth.
Add in heavy cream and mix for about three minutes until thick and fluffy.
Now, time to get started on the layers. Dip each cookie into the lemon juice.
Then layer into the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish.
Spread ⅓ of the cream cheese mixture onto the cookies.
Continue this process two more times (layer of cookies followed by layer of cream cheese mixture). You should have three layers total.
Cover the dish with plastic wrap and pop into the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours (or overnight).
Slice and serve!
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
Lemon Icebox Cake (+Video)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest zest of two lemons
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 (6 ounce) Pepperidge Farm Dublin cookies (Chessman or lemon cookies work too)
- ½ cup lemon juice
- whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Using an electric or stand mixer, mix together cream cheese, sugar and lemon zest until smooth.
- Add in heavy cream and mix for about three minutes until thick and fluffy.
- Dip each cookie into the lemon juice and layer into the bottom of an 8" x 8" baking dish
- Spread ⅓ of the cream cheese mixture onto the cookie layer.
- Continue this process two more times (a layer of cookies followed by a layer of cream cheese mixture.) You will have three layers total.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and pop into the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours (or overnight).
- Slice and serve with whipped cream.
- Keep refrigerated.
Originally published: July 2015
Updated & republished: June 2020