This Banana Cream Pie recipe starts has a homemade Nilla wafer crust, creamy pudding filling, sliced bananas and a delicious whipped topping. Perfection!
NEW YORK BANANA CREAM PIE
It was at Pies-n-Thighs restaurant during a trip to New York that we had this delicious little dessert. They called their pie, Banana Cream Pie, but it's not what we, in the south, think of as a traditional Banana Cream Pie that is thick and fluffy with a huge meringue topping. No, this was a little more dense and had a small dollop of whipped cream on each slice - kinda similar to my Southern Banana Pudding Pie (but faster to make.) It was absolutely heavenly.
CAN I USE HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM?
Of course! Anytime you see whipped topping in a recipe, you can substitute with homemade whipped cream. Just keep in mind that homemade whipped cream doesn't stay stable as long as Cool Whip whipped topping. It starts to break down and turn a bit liquid-y so you wouldn't want to make this too far in advance if you are using fresh whipped cream.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- Nilla wafer crumbs
- unsalted butter
- cream cheese
- whipped topping (COOL WHIP)
- cold milk
- instant banana cream pudding mix
HOW TO MAKE NEW YORK BANANA CREAM PIE:
Spray a 9-inch pie dish (or round baking pan) with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350f degrees. In a small bowl, combine vanilla wafer crumbs and sugar.
Then stir in melted butter
Press the crumb mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of prepared baking dish. Note: Sometimes it helps me to use a flat-bottomed glass to press it into the pie dish. There will be some slight shrinkage as this bakes. Bake at 350° for about 8 minutes and let cool completely.
In a small bowl, whisk together cold milk and pudding mix until combined. Let stand for 2 minutes to thicken slightly.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth (scrape down sides of bowl if using a stand mixer).
Stir in half of the whipped topping (COOL WHIP)...
..and then stir in the thickened prepared pudding
Arrange the banana slices onto the cooled crust
Top with banana cream filling.
Finally, spread the rest of the whipped topping evenly on top and spread smooth.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until set
CRAVING MORE RECIPES?
New York Banana Cream Pie (+Video)
For the crust:
- 1 ¾ cups Nilla wafer crumbs, measured after crushing
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
For the filling:
- 8 ounce package cream cheese softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 8 ounce tub frozen whipped topping (COOL WHIP), thawed
- 2-3 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 ¾ cups cold milk
- 3.4 ounce package instant banana cream pudding mix
- Spray a 9-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350f degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine vanilla wafer crumbs and sugar; then stir in melted butter. Press the crumb mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of prepared baking dish. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes and let cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk cold milk and pudding mix until combined. Let stand for 2 minutes until slightly thickened.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar with electric mixer until smooth. Fold in HALF of the whipped topping (COOL WHIP) and the prepared pudding.
- Arrange the banana slices into the bottom of the cooled crust. Top with the banana cream filling.
- Spread the rest of the whipped topping on top.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until set.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Originally published: May 2017
Updated & republished: May 2019