We are quickly approaching ‘Back to School’ time in our area. I know many districts around the state have already started school but we are one of those after Labor Day school starters. My mind slowly starts thinking of fall. And all things cool and autumn-like. The smell of apples and cinnamon. The cool breezes that will soon be approaching. We get small tastes of it here in Virginia during September. Then just as we are getting into fall moods, we get smacked with a week of 90 degree temperatures just to mess us it all up entirely. Oh, that Mother Nature, she’s a prankster!
Yay for crock pots
So in celebration of slow cookers and fall meals, I thought I would share a great little soup. There is just something so comforting about soup and this one is so easy to throw together. And if you are still experiencing 100 degree temperatures wherever you are, then making this in a slow cooker won’t heat up your house. Also, this is a fantastic recipe to double up and take to a potluck. Just make sure your slow cooker is at least 6 quarts if you are going to double this recipe.
1 bag of frozen Italian meatballs
1 bag frozen cheese tortellini
1 (32 oz.) container beef broth
1 can (15.5 oz) cannellini beans
1 can (14.5 oz.) Italian diced tomatoes (with basil, garlic & oregano)
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
½ tbsp. Italian seasoning
salt & pepper, to taste
grated parmesan cheese
Pour beef broth in 5-quart slow cooker
Pour in beans (do not drain)
pour in diced tomatoes
stir in onion, garlic, celery, Italian seasoning
and finally, stir in frozen meatballs
Cover and set slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours. About 30-45 minutes before you’re ready to eat, add frozen tortellini.
Allow to cook thoroughly. Add salt & pepper to taste (I usually add about a tsp. of table salt and ½ tsp of freshly ground black pepper). Ladle into bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Crock Pot Meatball and Tortellini SoupPrint Pin Rate
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- 1 pound bag of frozen Italian meatballs
- 1 pound bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 32 oz container beef Broth
- 1 15.5 oz can cannellini beans
- 1 14.5 oz can Italian diced tomatoes (with basil, garlic & oregano in it)
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- ½ tbsp Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- grated parmesan cheese for topping
- Pour beef broth in slow cooker and add beans (do not drain), diced tomatoes (do not drain), onion, garlic, celery, Italian seasoning and frozen meatballs.
- Set slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours.
- About 30-45 minutes before you’re ready to eat, add frozen tortellini.
- Allow to cook thoroughly.
- Add salt & pepper to taste (I usually add about a tsp. of table salt and ½ tsp of freshly ground black pepper).
- Ladle into bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Calories: 446kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 382mg | Potassium: 278mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 60IU | Vitamin C: 2.6mg | Calcium: 136mg | Iron: 2.8mg