Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Not your typical frozen meatballs
Now, I sometimes hear from some folks that just do not like the flavor of frozen meatballs. I get that. In the past, frozen meatballs could be a crapshoot. But Johnsonville has taken frozen meatballs to a whole new level with these Homestyle Meatballs.
When I first put all these ingredients in the slow cooker, I had my doubts that the sauce would thicken up properly. After a couple of hours, the sauce was still pretty liquid-y. So I decided, for the last hour of cooking, I would switch the crock pot over to high. That was the trick right there. It needed to get up to a high enough temperature to thicken the sauce. Within 30 minutes, I could already tell it was getting thick, which is how you want your sweet and sour sauce to be. So good, y’all! This is the perfect swap-out for the usual sweet and sour chicken or pork.
- 1 28 oz bag Johnsonville Frozen Homestyle Meatballs
- 1 20 oz can pineapple chunks in 100% juice save juice
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- First, drain the juice from your can of pineapple into a medium bowl (you'll need that later for the sauce.)
- It should give you about a cup of pineapple juice.
- Place frozen meatballs into your 4-6 quart crock pot.
- Then top meatballs with pineapple chunks and green peppers.
- Add brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and cornstarch to the pineapple juice you set aside.
- Whisk it all together well.
- Pour sauce over meatballs.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
- After a couple of hours, switch your crock pot to high and cook for an additional hour.
- Doing this will thicken the sauce.
- The sauce should be thicker and bubbling around the edges.