Crockpot Creamy Tortellini Sausage Stew is a thick and creamy soup that only has a few ingredients including diced tomatoes and cream cheese.
CROCK POT CREAMY TORTELLINI SAUSAGE STEW
If you are looking for a super easy, affordable and filling meal, this tortellini stew is it! This recipe checks off all of those boxes. It is absolutely delicious and is one of my family's favorite meals - no matter if it's summer or winter. It can be served with a fresh green salad or bread - whatever you prefer!
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS ITALIAN STEW:
- If you'd rather use ground beef, chicken sausage or turkey sausage in this, it's easy to substitute! Or leave it out altogether for a meatless meal.
- Don't like spinach? Just leave it out. Or you can even substitute with kale if you prefer or some other leafy green.
- This can be made on the stovetop. Follow directions as written just don't add the tortellini. Put it all in a large stock pot or dutch oven. Cook on medium-low for about 30-40 minutes (covered.) Cook tortellini to package directions, then add in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
Italian sausage (sweet, mild or hot)
salt & pepper
chicken broth (plus more to thin stew, to preference, optional)
Italian-style diced tomatoes
frozen cheese tortellini
fresh baby spinach
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT CREAMY TORTELLINI & SAUSAGE STEW:
Brown and crumble ground Italian sausage. Season with salt and pepper. Drain excess grease. Place cooked sausage into the bottom of a 4-quart crock pot.
Pour in chicken broth.
Add in Italian diced tomatoes. Then pour into crock pot. Top with chunks of cream cheese.Sprinkle Italian seasoning and garlic powder onto soup mixture. Top with frozen cheese tortellini and baby spinach.Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.Uncover and stir well. If cream cheese isn't fully melted, cover and allow to cook for additional 20 minutes. Also, at this point, if the stew is too thick for your preference, then pour in additional College Inn Chicken Broth until you reach desired thickness/thin-ness.
Then serve! Top with shredded Parmesan cheese (optional.)
CRAVING MORE RECIPES LIKE THIS ONE? TRY THESE!
CROCK POT CREAMY AND TORTELLINI SAUSAGE STEW
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage mild or hot
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (32 oz) container chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (19 oz) bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- shredded Parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
- Brown and crumble ground Italian sausage. Season with salt and pepper. Drain excess grease. Place cooked sausage into the bottom of a 4-quart crock pot.
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Add in Italian diced tomatoes. Then pour into crock pot. Top with chunks of cream cheese.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning and garlic salt onto soup mixture. Top with frozen cheese tortellini and baby spinach.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Uncover and stir well. If cream cheese isn't fully melted, cover and allow to cook for additional 20 minutes.
- Then serve! Top with shredded Parmesan cheese (optional).
Originally published: October 2017
Updated & republished: June 2020