In my mind, there really is nothing more comforting than a big bowl of chicken and dumplings. Honestly, any version of chicken and dumplings is totally fine with me. I love it all. I love the old-fashioned flat dumplings in a thick broth, I love the big, fluffy dumpling balls in a thinner broth and I love the dumplings made with canned biscuits that are thick and heavy in a super thick broth. It is all good to me!
Why not in a crock pot?
I always have folks ask me for a good crock pot version of chicken and dumplings. I actually had never really thought about it because we always just made them on a stove top. So I set about figuring the best way to do this.
And it worked out great because I was able to use frozen chicken breasts (which are much cheaper than their fresh counterparts – but still just as yummy) and they have time to get infused with amazing flavor. I decided I wanted to have a thicker broth so I used a quick trick with canned biscuits to make that happen. We really, really loved this version!
1 (32 oz) container chicken broth
1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup with herbs
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
3-4 frozen chicken breasts
1-2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup frozen peas and carrots (optional)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 (16 0z) tube refrigerated Pillsbury Grands Biscuits
Drop the coated biscuits (one by one into the slow cooker.) Doing this one at a time will keep them from sticking together when you drop them in. The flour is also going to help thicken the broth. Take a spoon and gently push the biscuits down under the broth so the tops get moistened (don’t stir.)
- 1 32 oz container chicken broth
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup with herbs
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3-4 frozen chicken breasts
- 1-2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots optional
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 16 oz tube refrigerated Pillsbury Grands Refrigerated Biscuits
- Place chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, diced onions and celery into a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Stir well (it will be a bit lumpy from the cream of chicken soup.)
Add frozen chicken breasts into crock pot and season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for about 4-6 hours (until chicken is fully cooked through.)
- Then take the chicken out and cut it into bite size pieces or shred it with a couple of forks. Put the chicken back into the slow cooker. Add frozen vegetables into the slow cooker if you are using.
- Take the biscuits and flatten each one with the palm of your hand. Then cut the biscuits into strips then cut down the center.
Put 1/2 cup flour into a bowl and place slices of biscuits into the flour and toss them to coat well with the flour.
- Drop the coated biscuits (one by one into the slow cooker.) Doing this one at a time will keep them from sticking together when you drop them in. The flour is also going to help thicken the broth. Take a spoon and gently push the biscuits down under the broth so the tops get moistened (don't stir.)
Cover and cook on high for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Carefully take a dumpling out and check to make sure it is cooked through. If not, continue to cook until done.
- Give it all a gentle stir. Sprinkle with some dried parsley (optional.) Then serve!
- Cook's Notes: You can use fresh chicken breasts in this dish.