Pour this mixture over the chicken. Do not mix the layers.
Then bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the casserole is set. Everyone’s oven heats just a little differently. It’s just how it goes. My oven has a hot spot in the back right hand side so I always have to rotate my dishes while cooking. So this took about 50 minutes in my oven. I sprinkled with a bit of dried parsley when finished cooking. This step is totally not necessary but it helps brighten up the casserole just a bit. I know my pictures do not do this recipe justice but we absolutely fell in love with it! The flavor was amazing and it was a family-pleaser for sure! Serve with a salad and your favorite veggie.
Chicken and Dumplings CasserolePrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 1 cup small onion chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup Self-Rising Flour
- 1 cup milk 2% or higher
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup undiluted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add chopped onion and celery.
- Cook for about 8-10 minutes (until veggies are soft).
- I seasoned my veggies with just a little bit of salt and pepper and I just let the butter melt as the veggies cooked.
- Pour the butter and veggie mixture into your prepared baking dish.
- Add the chicken in a layer on top of the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, combine self-rising flour with milk.
- Pour this mixture over chicken (do not stir mixture).
- In another small bowl combine the chicken broth with the cream of chicken soup.
- Season this with a bit of salt & pepper.
- Pour this mixture over the chicken.
- Do not mix the layers.
- Then bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the casserole is set.