Salsa Verde Chicken
This Salsa Verde Chicken combines delicious spices and salsa and is a quick and tasty dinner recipe. You will want to put this one on repeat!
A FLAVORFUL DINNERTIME CHICKEN RECIPE
I’m always looking for new ways to make chicken. Chicken can get a bit boring after a while so it’s always fun when I can find a simple but delicious way to make it. This Salsa Verde Chicken recipe is most certainly a new favorite! The spices really are what make this recipe something special. There are no hard-to-find ingredients and you probably have these spices in your cabinet right now. If you’re like me and are looking for a new chicken dinner idea, then you need to try this Salsa Verde Chicken recipe!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Chicken is safely done at 165F degrees. Using a kitchen thermometer is great for this – especially when you are new to cooking and don’t want to overcook (or undercook) your chicken. You want to insert the thermometer into the thicker part of the chicken while making sure the thermometer isn’t touching the pan.
I used a Mexican blend cheese for this recipe but you can use cheddar, colby jack or monterey jack as well.
If you have a favorite salsa verde recipe you want to use, go for it! However, I love the Herdez brand salsa verde. It tastes like homemade to me.
Personally I like to serve this with rice but you could always slice it up and place it over a fresh salad if you like. You can even shred it and put it into some tacos or burritos.
No problem. I don’t want you to go out and buy a bunch of spices just to make this. Especially if you don’t intend to use those spices very often. Just pick up a packet of taco or fajita seasoning and use that in substitution of the spices listed below.
Place in an airtight container or ziptop bag and it will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. This can also be frozen. Place in a freezer bag and it will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator before reheating.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED: (FULL RECIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST)
- chicken breasts
- olive oil
- green salsa verde
- chicken or vegetable broth
- chili powder
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- dried oregano
- black pepper
- kosher salt
- mexican cheese
HOW TO MAKE SALSA VERDE CHICKEN:
In a small bowl, mix together the seasoning ingredients. Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and season all sides with the seasoning mix.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the seasoned chicken breasts to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until seared (golden brown.) Remove the chicken and rest on a plate.
Add the diced onion to the hot pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until onions start to soften.
Add the broth and salsa verde to the pan and stir well. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan to mix into the sauce.
Return the chicken breasts to the pan. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through (or until the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit). Divide the shredded cheese evenly to top each chicken breast. Pour some of the warm sauce over the top of the cheese to melt.
Remove from heat, add the sliced green onions and cilantro.
Serve immediately with a lime wedge over rice.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
- CROCK POT SALSA RANCH CHICKEN PASTA
- CREAMY SALSA CHICKEN DIP
- SLOW COOKER SALSA CHICKEN
- LAZY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
- CROCK POT CHICKEN FAJITAS
- SKILLET BBQ PINEAPPLE CHICKEN
- CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH RED SAUCE
- EASY CREAMY WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
Salsa Verde Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts about 4 chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 16 ounce jar green salsa verde
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅔ cup shredded mexican cheese
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 lime wedges, for serving
- In a small bowl, mix together the seasoning ingredients.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and season all sides with the seasoning mix.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add the seasoned chicken breasts to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until seared (browned). Remove the chicken and rest on a plate. You're not cooking the chicken all the way through in this step.
- Add the diced onion to the hot pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until onions start to soften.
- Add the broth and salsa verde to the pan and stir well. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan to mix into the sauce.
- Return the chicken breasts to the pan. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through (or until the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Divide the shredded cheese evenly to top each chicken breast. Pour some of the warm sauce over the top of the cheese to melt.
- Remove from heat, add the sliced green onions and cilantro and serve immediately with a lime wedge over rice.
- A packet of taco or fajita seasoning can be substituted to all of the spices listed above.
- This can be frozen, see my tips above.
- This can be served with rice, over a salad, shredded in tacos etc.
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Inspired by Clean Food Crush
i’ve made this many times. My husband and brothers get excited every time I make salsa verde chicken because I use it as a quesadilla filling and it’s the best quesadilla ever.
Thanks so much Sue!! I love hearing that and that is a fantastic idea to use it as a quesadilla filling – brilliant!
I made this for dinner last night it was delicious. I will definitely make it again!
I’m so happy you gave it a try Linda!! Thank you for taking the time to come back and comment!