Retro Shrimp Dip
I mentioned in a recipe post (for Salmon Patties) a few weeks ago that I was working on sharing some of my Mom-in-law’s most popular recipes. These were the recipes everyone wanted her to bring to ALL their get togethers. She was famous for them! But because she is no longer with us, and I was unable to get these recipes from her, I’m having to fiddle with the flavors to get the recipes right!
Yes, that is canned shrimp in the recipe
I think what I love most about these classic recipes is that they are super affordable. My mother-in-law, Chris, only ever used the canned shrimp and salmon. Now, I know these days, that is not popular. A lot of folks want fresh, locally-sourced, birthed only from a green sea goddess, touched by the hand of God – and don’t forget- gluten-free, organic fish. 😉 But that ain’t how they did it in the 70’s, y’all (well, not most of us regular cheap folks, anyway). The canned shrimp are tiny shrimp that require no de-veining, removing of tails or additional cooking. You just chop them up! Plus, this is way more affordable and tastes great! And if you need a last-minute dip, you can make this fast without planning ahead.
1 (8 oz) block cream cheese, softened to room temp.
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp lemon juice
3 tbsp. chili sauce
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp dried minced onion
1 (4 oz) can tiny shrimp
sliced green onions, for topping (optional)
In a medium bowl beat together the cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth.
Add the lemon juice, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce and dried onion. Beat until smooth.
Chop up the shrimp into chunks
Stir chopped shrimp into the cream cheese mixture.
Garnish with sliced green onions.
Keep chilled. Serve with Ruffles potato chips (or your favorite cracker).
Retro Shrimp Dip
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese softened to room temp.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. chili sauce
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 4 oz can tiny shrimp
- sliced green onions for topping (optional)
- In a medium bowl beat together the cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth.
- Add the lemon juice, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce and dried onion. Beat until smooth.
- Chop up the shrimp into chunks.
- Stir chopped shrimp into the cream cheese mixture.
- Garnish with sliced green onions.
- Keep chilled. Serve with Ruffles potato chips (or your favorite cracker).