One of the biggest blessings for me since I started this website has been all the amazing people I’ve had a chance to get to know. Food. It really brings folks together, doesn’t it? It doesn’t matter where you’re from or what kind of food you cook. We all gotta eat, right? And occasionally, I get emails from readers who would like to share a favorite family recipe with me. I love when y’all take the time to share special recipes with me. Especially when a special memory is attached. Honestly, I wish I had more time because I have a stack of recipes that I am really wanting to try. Y’all are some good cooks!
Now, you would think looking at this recipe that this cake is on lemon overload. Let me assure you – it really isn’t. It isn’t crazy sweet or a big ole lemon bomb. It is the perfect balance of sweet and a little tart from the pie filling. My husband, who is not a lemon cake fan, really enjoyed this one if that gives you an indication.
1 (15.75 oz.) can lemon pie filling*
- 1 oz box vanilla cake mix 18.25 .
- ingredients needed to make cake (eggs oil and water)
- 1 oz can lemon pie filling 15.75 .
- 1 tub lemon flavored frosting
- 1 tub whipped topping thawed, 8oz., COOL WHIP
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on the back of the box.
- Pour batter into baking dish.
- Place spoonfuls of lemon pie filling all over the batter.
- Take a knife and swirl it all around to help evenly distribute it better.
- Bake at 350F degrees (in center rack) for about 35-40 minutes until cake springs back to the touch and isn't jiggly in the center.
- Let cake cool completely before proceeding to the next step.
- In a bowl, combine lemon flavored frosting with whipped topping.
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake.